Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:12 PM   #1

Default T mount adapter

can someone tell me what this is?

I want to buy a tele lense for my cam and the description of one i found says...

Quote:
This lens is compatible with the following cameras (with an appropriate T-mount adapter): * Olympus E-30, E-3, E-620, E-600, E-520, E-510, E-500, E-450, E-420, E-410, E-400, E-330, E-300...
and much more.
How am i meant to know if the one i have is appropriate and if its not how do i know what to look for if i buy one?
x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:51 PM   #2

In stead of a accepting a bayonet mount type lens, the adapter is threaded. Are you thinking of getting a mirror-type lens?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:07 PM   #3

To be honest i've not a clue what i'm meant to be buying, i just want a good lense that has a large zoom on it.

I typed it in ebay and first one up was:

Falcon 800mm ED Mirror Telephoto Lens
f/8.0

With the quote in my first post in the description.

I don't know what i'm doing as i've never had an SLR before, and my OH bought me one 2 days ago, really don't know what i'm doing with it, its all jibberish to me, the setting and stuff.

But i want it primarily for macro photography so a macro lense, and also a telephoto lense for long distance shots

I'm also after a flash for it too, but really don't know what i'm looking for
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Sarah x View Post
To be honest i've not a clue what i'm meant to be buying, i just want a good lense that has a large zoom on it.

I typed it in ebay and first one up was:

Falcon 800mm ED Mirror Telephoto Lens
f/8.0

With the quote in my first post in the description.

I don't know what i'm doing as i've never had an SLR before, and my OH bought me one 2 days ago, really don't know what i'm doing with it, its all jibberish to me, the setting and stuff.

But i want it primarily for macro photography so a macro lense, and also a telephoto lense for long distance shots

I'm also after a flash for it too, but really don't know what i'm looking for
I can say with relative surety that you'll get all the help you need here. We now know your "newbie level" but, it would help to know what camera you have. I'm assuming it's an Olympus but which one?
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:26 PM   #5

Its the Olympus E-450, i'm looking to get it setup first with whatever gear it needs, so flash, couple of lenses, bag etc...

But if theres anything else i might need for the lenses or flash then i need to know because i am unaware of any other attachments!

and then once i have those things that will enhance picture quality then i will look to learn how to use it because so far i do not understand a single thing its telling, all these numbers and letters and i dont' have a clue what they mean or what they do

She's so big and technical compared to my little SP-500UZ!

But i have always wanted one so i'm very willing and enthusiastic about learning how to take some great pictures with her!

Here's a couple pictures i took so far and the kind of thing i'm usually photographing, all i did was switch it on and start snapping, so i know with the correct handling its capable of some stunning pictures!

Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:04 PM   #6

First and foremost, you'll need to do a little reading. Yeah, I know "That's no fun". To get down terminology to understand what people are telling you AND to help you understand the camera and it's capabilities... it's a necessary evil. A couple of good books to get you going without getting real technical are "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson and "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby (You'll want to get at least volume one and pick up the other two later).

You're right. The E-450 is very capable of producing some really stunning images as is evidenced by your photos. Nice work!
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:30 PM   #7

An 800mm mirror lens is extreme telephoto. It will be completely manual focus, and the aperture is fixed (can't change f-stops). With a tripod and good light, you can get decent photos, but mirror lenses are traditionally a little bet soft, at best, and you would need to know how to get the best from it in post-processing. T-mount adapters allow you to use these lenses with most any camera. Just ask for T-mount for your camera's lens mount. It probably wouldn't make a good macro lens. brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:35 PM   #8

Thank you...i think i'm not sure what any of that means (total noob)

Is there a good zoom lense or a good macro lens that will fit my camera that you could think of off the top of your head?

I just need to be told of these fittings then i can look them up and/or purchase.

However, the position i'm in right now all i can do is search for Olympus zoom lens/macro lens which brings up thousands of things, i just don't know where to start!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:26 PM   #9

I think the best place to go for advice would be the Olympus DSLR forum -just scroll down the page. The people there will likely have experience with what you are asking about and would be a lot more knowledgeable about Olympus lenses. brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Sarah x View Post
Thank you...i think i'm not sure what any of that means (total noob)

Is there a good zoom lense or a good macro lens that will fit my camera that you could think of off the top of your head?

I just need to be told of these fittings then i can look them up and/or purchase.

However, the position i'm in right now all i can do is search for Olympus zoom lens/macro lens which brings up thousands of things, i just don't know where to start!
A Zuiko 70-300mm would fill your needs easily and it's QUITE affordable. If you have a 14-42mm kit lens, then I would heartily recommend a Raynox DCR-250 for your macros.
My Gallery

--