Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:03 PM   #1

Default Question about warranty info on internet purchase...

Hello everyone, first post here and just ordered my first digital camera on the internet.

Canon A80
$344.00 total price

After the order, I was curious about the warranty info and this is what the website's FAQs have to say about that...

All merchandise is brand new and factory fresh! All items come with the manufacturers warranty. However, to save you extra money, some items may be parallel imports and do not include USA warranty.

By parallel import, do they mean it's the same exact product and just different warranty? In that case, would the warranty be void for people in the US? If so, how important do you feel warranties are?

(Sorry about the question, their customer service doesn't reply to emails until Monday)

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy about my purchase. Found a link for a 40x Lexar 256mb memory stick on these forums, so I'll probably go for that.
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/pro...roducts_id=122

Not sure what to do about batteries yet. Any suggestions? I heard about these 15-30 minute battery chargers, lol.. good idea or dangerous?

Thanks in advance everyone, and happy holidays
-Simo
SiMo X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:30 PM   #2

personally I would not buy a camera unless I get the full MANUFACTURES USA WARRANTY. most vendors will say that upfront because they know it is a major selling point.

If your camera has a malfunction you'll be thinking the warranty is real important.

I have found that when it comes to digital cameras I feel money should not be the most important issue on where I buy it. Service and support are the most important to me because a lot of digital cameras have "performance issues" that can best be evluated only with a hands on demo.

I just bought a sandisk ultra 2 60x for $65.00 on ebay, I recieved it within 3 days :lol:

I would be nervous with a battery charger that charges my batteries if 15 min to a half hour. These ultra short charge times are very hard on the batteries over the long haul.

maha batteries are always highly rated.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 4:58 PM   #3

Simo

Parrallel import is referred to Gray Market. Gray market items will not come with MFR warranty. I would call the company and insure that the camera comes with US warranty or cancel your order. Gray market items often do not come with all the items that are packed with US warranty items. Example would be not batteries, no memory card, no lens cap, etc.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 1:55 AM   #4

Thanks for your quick replies guys

I should be getting a response from customer service tomorrow. If not, I'll call them up... only thing is... I got an email from them today stating that the product has been shipped, lol... so I've checked out their return policy, and there's like a 5% restocking fee for unopened packages, which is not a big deal, considering that I should have made sure of this before I ordered it... ops:

We'll see what happens and I will keep you updated, but the website seems pretty legit, so I hope it works out...(beachcamera.com.. anyone ever order anything from them?)

Thanks again,
-Simo
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:09 AM   #5

Simo

Gray market cameras usually come in plain packaging.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:34 AM   #6

The fact that one chooses to buy a gray market item is less of an issue than the business that markets gray market items without disclosing such information.

For the consumer, gray market items take away the US Warranty. This means that if you have a problem, the only resource is the store you bought it from. I know B&H has excellent relationships with its customers. I can't say the same for other companies. Personally, I would pay the extra $$ for the US Warranty. As I have said before, the best price is not always the best deal.

Hopefully, you won't have any issues and will enjoy your purchase for a long time!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 5:52 PM   #7

K, didn't receive an email reply yet, but I called them this afternoon and the guy assured me that the product is retail inside a sealed Canon package and comes with a US warranty. Let's hope that's true
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:49 PM   #8

Cam came in New Years Eve! Retail Canon package with US warranty So happy with my purchase, been messing with it a bit but I still need to read the whole manual to figure out night time pics and stuff... sorry for the delay, been a little busy.... now I need some rechargeable batteries because I've been running through Duracells like it's nobody's business..........

-Simo X