Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:03 AM   #1

Default AVC vs. AVI??

I have a device into which I can insert my camera`s memory card, then connect to my TV and supposedly view all my stills and video clips on screen. It works fine with stills, but will not recognise the videos. I`m trying to find out if the camera`s videos are compatible with this device.
The camera is a Sanyo Exacti VPC-CG10, which takes videos to ISO standard MPEG-4 AVC/CH.264. The device should play videos to
MPEG-1/2/4 (MPG,VOB,AVI), DIVX (AVI), XVID (AVI). As I`m totally non - tech regarding this, I`d like to know if the two are compatible or not.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
wilen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2

I'm no expert with video (or much of anything else either), but I think you will have to convert the video format in order to use it. There are a number of free transcoding programs available. I tend to look in the MajorGeeks.com website first for this type of thing. There are a number of other places, like C/net, as well.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:20 AM   #3

well your camera takes MPEG-4 AVC/CH.264 and your device does not support MPEG-4 AVC
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:05 AM   #4

Example of what looks like a pretty easy program to use: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Freemake_V...ter_d6553.html
I think I will give this one a try myself, as the one I have been using is a bit complicated for my level.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilen27 View Post
The camera is a Sanyo Exacti VPC-CG10, which takes videos to ISO standard MPEG-4 AVC/CH.264. The device should play videos to
MPEG-1/2/4 (MPG,VOB,AVI), DIVX (AVI), XVID (AVI). As I`m totally non - tech regarding this, I`d like to know if the two are compatible or not.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Without knowing more about your playback device, my answer would be that it is not compatable with H264 video.

As stated, it would need to be transcoded to an MPEG2 format. A very good (and FREE) program is Format Factory...

http://www.formatoz.com/
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote