Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:06 AM   #1

Default new camera models

i am going to purchase my first digicam. i wanted to know when the new models hit the stores. i don't want to purchase a camera and see a new model come out a week later. thanks for your input.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 2:11 PM   #2

I don't know that one can say "The new models all hit the store on this date: ...". Different companies will release different models at different times, but it seems no matter what you do, within 6-12 months they'll have a better model than what you have. I'd say they last a bit longer, but some will come out with new models faster than others, some slower than others. Kind of like computers - the next day yours is out of date.

What you could do, is wait until you see a new model for a camera you're interested in come out, buy it, then you know you have awhile with the latest and greatest for that model.
maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:01 PM   #3
Administrator

The next wave of new camera announcements begin mid to late January. The big PMA (Photo Marketing Assoc) show is the 2nd week of February in Las Vegas.

And this is also a Photokina year - Photokina 2004 is in Sept in Germany and is a much larger show than PMA and is a true worldwide event so there will be more new camera announcements leading up to this show.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:54 PM   #4

thanks for the replies. i know in home electronics, all new models come out around november just in time for the christmas season. that did not seem to happen this year with digicams (that's why i ask) . i've made that mistake twice in the past (tv & audio receiver). i never learn. lol.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote