Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1

Default What to get next?

Hi I am looking to build my basic dslr kit to cover my needs specially to get picks of my family and holidays,(so a lot of indoor use) school events, kid sports. I also like to do some nature shoots and am looking into some macro. I have the t2i with the kit lens and the 55-250. So my question is what would aquisition would be most benefitial now? A flash or the 50mm f/1.8? I have never used an external flash and the swiveling ones seem so big, but if they are a must i guess i'll have to get used to.

Thank you so much and happy holidays
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:50 PM   #2

Much of what you say you want to do can't be done with what you have. A flash will help with the "family and holidays", but you need to be more specific about the "school events", "kid sports", and "macro" in order to get recommendations on specific products.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:20 PM   #3

Hi what you have is a nice base it will do a lot of things and will take some nature shots within reason. My advice is you need an external flash, a nissin di622 is easy to use and wont break the bank and with the savings you could use to save for noter lens once you have taken a few more shots and seen what you need.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:22 PM   #4

Thank you, for school events some are fine with 50mm or less and the others i guess 100mm would be fine. The ones needing a loger focal distance are held in a highschool gym. Sports some are outside like horseback ridding and indoor are some tae kwon do tournaments.
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:27 PM   #5

For HS basketball or volleyball (indoors), the T2i with a Sigma 70-200/2.8 would be a good choice, and might even work well for tae kwon do tournaments as well. For equestrian events, the 70-200/2.8 might be good for Vaulting, Dressage, Reining, Barrel Racing, and possibly Show Jumping, but for Hunting, Cross Country, Endurance, and Eventing, you'd need something longer.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote