Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 28, 2003, 6:33 PM   #1

Default Can you take a decent pic w/o hotshoe?

Hi! I have been playing around with my new A80 for a couple of weeks now. For the most part, I am dissatisfied with two things:

1. Red eye (even on reduction mode)
2. Flash in poor lighting

Of course, it would be great to have good lighting. I've noticed, however, that at parties, functions, etc., the lighting tends to be very poor. Therefore, I get very dark shots. Can anyone suggest some way to get better shots with my camera? I like this camera, but why doesn't it have an optional external flash? I am a newbie and don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money, as I am just learning. Thanks for any advice...

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 6:53 PM   #2

Amy

There are slave flashes that will improve the flash area but not improved the Red Eye problem. An inexpensive editing software ie Ulead Photoimpact 7 can remove the Red Eye with a few strokes. You can purchase the software off Ebay for around $30. Cheaper than a flash.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:33 PM   #3

I think that this flash is perfect for your camera (and any digicam which doesn’t have a hot shoe) It “leans” how the cam “preflash” and adapts itself. The web site mentions that the kit include a bracket also, but I don’t see any picture of it (you need a bracket to fix it to the camera)

http://www.vivitar.com/Products/Flas...ash.html#DF200

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:38 PM   #4

I was just going to ask how you attach one of these. Do you have to have a bracket? Are there any other ways to attach it? The bracket seems very cumbersome. Does the bracket basically screw in the camera like a tripod? Then, do all brackets have a hot shoe?

As far as red eye goes, I do have ps elements 2.0, so I can get rid of the red eye. As I understand it (from what I've been reading) is that the further the flash from the camera, the less red eye. So, that might help as well.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytude
I was just going to ask how you attach one of these. Do you have to have a bracket? Are there any other ways to attach it?
Well, the bracket is one practical way to hold the camera and the flash together as your camera doesn't have a hot shoe.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/dsf-1s.html
But you can imagine any other way as long as it fit your taste , you can tape it to the cam :P , hold the flash in the other hand …etc .
But in general, the bracket make your ensemble compact, stable and easy to manipulate. High end flash gun do have their own bracket : http://www.pbase.com/image/2282403

Quote:
Does the bracket basically screw in the camera like a tripod?
You got it
Quote:
do all brackets have a hot shoe?
Yes, we talk about "flash bracket", so they have to have a hot shoe for that purpose. They may differs on what electrical connection the hot shoe has (general trigger connection, dedicated for Nikon, Olympus, etc connection …)
In this case, if you use the salve flash, the hot shoe acts just as mechanical holder, no electrical connection used or needed.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 5:49 PM   #6

I just ordered the Vivitar DF200 over the weekend from B&H (haven't received it yet).

It comes bundled with a bracket and mini table-top tripod for $69.95 + shipping.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:51 PM   #7

jaws,
Is there some where a pic of the ensemble ?
Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:08 PM   #8

...from the B&H web site:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=1x2jY9yxLm!-844285013?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=293955&is =REG

...not the greatest picture, but sort of gives you a hint as to what you get.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 6:01 PM   #9

Thanks jawz, looks nice, decent enough for the price.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 2:41 PM   #10

I hope you have a plug in for the flash on your camera. If not, you won't be able to use it. Since this is a slave flash, you will still have to have your camera flash fire first and you will still get red-eye.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote