Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:23 PM   #1

Default Help needed with film scanner choice

Hello, newbie here, name's John. My dilemma is this, purchased a Plustek 7600i Ai off Amazon...delivered last Friday. On Thursday prior, Craigslist ad...my town even, a Nikon Coolscan 4000ED with all original packaging and SA-21 film strip adapter, original receipt and all for $100.00...I jumped on it, it's mine...along with the Plustek that showed up on my doorstep Friday. What would you guys do? Sell the Nikon or return the Plustek? I'm running a Dell XPS 8100 with Windows 7...I'm guessing I'd need to purchase Silverfast to make the Nikon work? What if I opened the plustek with the Silverfast...would it work with the Nikon? Then sell the Plustek on ebay as used? So confused??? I've tried to do a comparison, appears the Nikons hardware was better even as old as it is with the exception of the IR scan, specs of the Plustek don't seem to be on par with their claim? Any advice/opinions would really be appreciated...I have never scanned a film, don't know what to look for.

Thanks,
John
Satadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:20 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Oh dear. Scanning is quite an art.

If the Nikon is in good shape it should be substantially better than the Plustek. Silverfast should work with both scanners, unless the version that ships with the Plustek is a cut-down version that only supports that scanner.

Having said all that, the Plustek is new, has a warrantee and is a very decent scanner - you will probably need to up your skill levels before you really start to notice a difference between the two. And of course it depends a lot on what you need to do with the scans. The Plustek might provide you with more than sufficient quality for your needs.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Oh dear. Scanning is quite an art.

If the Nikon is in good shape it should be substantially better than the Plustek. Silverfast should work with both scanners, unless the version that ships with the Plustek is a cut-down version that only supports that scanner.

Having said all that, the Plustek is new, has a warrantee and is a very decent scanner - you will probably need to up your skill levels before you really start to notice a difference between the two. And of course it depends a lot on what you need to do with the scans. The Plustek might provide you with more than sufficient quality for your needs.
Thank you for taking the time to reply...I appreciate it!
Satadawg is offline   Reply With Quote