Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 11, 2002, 4:56 PM   #1

Default Need Help finding the right camera

Currently I have a Kodak 3600 Digital Camera and Minolta Maxxum SLR Camera.

I need a digital camera that will allow me to attach more powerful flashes and lenses. I have lenses for the Kodak, but they just don't perform well.

I'm looking for a camera in the $800-$1200 range. I'd love to get the $5,000 Nikon's, but just can't afford that, or justify it!

I have quite a few flashes and lenses for the Minolta, but does Minolta make a digital camera that allows flashes and lenses to be attached?

Thanks for the advice!
pgowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2002, 9:00 PM   #2

Flash no problem, do you mean change lens or attach to present one. attach easy, change $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 9:59 PM   #3

Flash is probably the most important.

I know that lenses probably means $$.

I need to be able to attach professional type flashes for sure.
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:00 PM   #4

Probably need to tell what I'm taking pictures of.

I run a Native American website, and I travel to Pow Wows. I need to be able to take pictures of these events at night. These shots will include action shots, group shots, etc. And my small flash now just can't illuminate large areas.

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2002, 11:19 PM   #5

Consider a dimage 7i if the 28-200mm zoom range works for you. The D7 isn't particularly suited to add-on lenses but you'll pay a lot more for a camera that is or has interchangable lenses.

Your existing Minolta flashes won't work in TTL or ADI mode as will the new 3600D and 5600D will but that's not so bad. I'm using a Metz 45CL-4 with my D7 and the thyristor automatic mode is low tech but works quite well. I'm debating if I even need to spend another $120 on the TTL module.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 8:40 PM   #6

What is TTL and ADI??

Is there a way to have my flashes work on the Dimage?
Old Aug 12, 2002, 8:55 PM   #7

TTL uses a pre-flash measured through the lens to set flash exposure and white balance. ADI uses focus and zoom information from the camera to determine distance to the subject to set the flash. To get these modes you'll need to get a flash specifically made for the Dimage 5/7/7i. So far the only flashes that meet that criteria are the Minolta 3600(D) and 5600(D). Metz has announced a dedicated module, the 3302 M3, that is specific to the Dimage cameras but I don't know if anyone actually has one yet.

Your flashes will work but in manual or ordinary automatic mode only. Thyristor automatic is the non-TTL, non-dedicated automatic mode that uses the sensor on the front of the flash to determine exposure. You will have to set your camera to a specified aperture to match the flash to get correct exposure. It's considered pretty low tech these days but in most situations it works as well as any TTL system.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 9:08 PM   #8
NHL

Not to confuse anyone, but the D7i is the only digital camera that can do TTL wireless flash at this time... (they were also the first with the 7xi... 15-20 years ago)

Why do you need it? You can set multiple 3600(D) and 5600(D) flashes on different ratio and the camera will control them all. Great for outdoor location shots and no wire to trip over !!!

... that why they all come with cute little stand. LOL.

[Edited on 8-13-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 2:28 PM   #9

Of course, the D7i is a wonderful choice, but, if you don't like that one for some reason, consider an Oly E-10 or E-20. I don't know about low light performance, but my E-20 was a fabulous camera (5MB, 4X).
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote