Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 4, 2004, 6:46 PM   #11

Quote:
I pretty much never answer the "what camera?" question, in part because it cannot be answered,
Very true in that no person can give an definitive answer as it's all so very subjective.

Quote:
and in part because a high percentage of those questions are "drive-by":
This being true also. This doesn't bother me so much. However, it would be nice if they extended a kind thank you for the information, beings that you had taken the time to answer them when you certainly didn't have to.
Simply a matter of good manners, something you always hope to find in people.

When I offer a "hand," I do so with no strings attached. My only expectation being the receiver offering a "thank you" in return.
A "driveby"....when we see a person broke down alongside the road, do we offer a hand, expecting to meet them again? Do we mind if we don't?
In answering that, is why I don't mind the "drivebys" so much.

A few minutes of my time dedicated to someone who is/might be a "driveby" poster or not, is of no big deal to me.
My philosophy is, "Don't sweat the small stuff." I try not to, anyway

Years ago, I was one who "kept score." In doing this, to me...it always seemed like I got the short end of the stick.
I then got into the "principle" issue which prevented me from [insert good deed here]. I became cynical in regards to offering a hand, particularly to strangers.
Somewhere along the line, I began to rethink this. Later, it all came to full light whilst taking my daughter out to help in the canned food drive for her school. The school then gave the cans to the Salvation Army for which they added other items (fresh fruit, turkey, a pie etc.)
Which I will add, in the past, I had been a recipient of this kind effort/generosity.
Fortunately, the winds of change bestowed upon me a comfortable, good life.

Anyway. What I learned of people, surprised me. As we went from home-to-home...those who were most generous, ironically, were those I would have expected to be able to give the least. I would have never known this had it not been for our volunteering.
Yes, there were folks, who being "well off", gave generously as well but they weren't the majority of generous givers. They were the least.
I could very well imagine what they thought as I used to think in a particular way. That being, "I work too hard for what I have" "Those folks can work, just like I do" "More than likely, they're just lazy etc." "More than likely they only take, never give"
While this might be true of some and more than likely is, what of the others?
I hid behind those thoughts so that I wouldn't have to deal with it. I was justifying my own shortcoming. Convenient as it certainly was the easiest route to take.

I try to "take the high road" regardless of what others are or aren't doing around me. Of course, I fail sometimes...like everyone else. Life certainly is one long educational process :shock:

Quote:
They seem to go to every photo forum they can find, ask their question, then go into Best-Mart and buy whatever the sales clerk is pushing that day.
This I wouldn't know. While I belong to a few forums, I don't frequent them enough to take note of this.

Anyway...all that I've said is what influences (and what had) my thoughts/feelings about the subject at hand.
Might not be very fitting for the forum in that it is regarding matters outside photography
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 7:19 PM   #12

I agree with much of what you say, however I was thinking of a "drive-by shooting": fire a few rounds into a random house and run away. Not something I want to encourage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by informativetoo
Quote:
They seem to go to every photo forum they can find, ask their question, then go into Best-Mart and buy whatever the sales clerk is pushing that day.
This I wouldn't know. While I belong to a few forums, I don't frequent them enough to take note of this.
I don't know that for sure either, but it seems a reasonable assumption for people who ask total strangers to tell them what to do.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 9:52 PM   #13

Now that is what I like to see and appreciate, sincere dialog with some thought behind it. I hope you all have a good year 2004 and I look forward to gaining some quick experience and providing competent answers myself to any and all who inquire.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:39 PM   #14

Now, I thought this a perfect time for a "newbie" to chime in and defend our honor, just a little bit. Let us keep in mind that photo technology isn't many of our first professions. And for many of us, this purchase is replacing 'for the first time', the old stand by point and shoot. Which in many cases, gasp, was something that was more than likely purchased at the local ___mart

That being said, I've personally spent quite a bit of time trying to learn about MP, Optical vs. digital zoom, white balance, ISO, shutter speeds, resolutions, etc, etc.....I researched several different brands of camaras Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Kodak, Sony, etc... AND at the end of the day I STILL HAD QUESTIONS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what these forums are for? That's why, when I came to this forum several weeks ago to do research, I began reading thread after thread after thread. The search tool is great BTW. I found a lot of great information, it helped me narrow the field greatly, but again, I STILL HAD QUESTIONS.

So I took a shot in the dark, registered for the forum and posted "3MP for Outdoor / Landscape photography", I'm a little dissapointed that I haven't gotten a single response. But, I am a little surprised that nearly 45 people have viewed the post since I opened it, and not a single one has made even the slightest of comments. That's o.k., that's how these things work. I've worked in computers for years and believe me this isnt the first discussion forum or the last that I'll visit. (It is the first that I've come across that someone has complained in a beginners forum about sharing information with beginners though).

The one thing that I found when posting on here was, don't do the vague...I'm purchasing my first digital camara and what one should I get routine. LOL. So of course I didn't, and I really don't think that a lot of people do. I took the time, explained what I needed the camara for, the level of camara (price range) and so on ((or so I thought I did). But, even if I didn't, so what.

I tend to compare it to the parent that wants HBO, but doesn't want their child to see any of the R rated movies at night. Well, you have two options....Don't order HBO OR use your ability to block out the R rated movies....but don't complain about the R rated movies. So my humble advice to anyone that doesn't want to see these posts, from a "newbie", if I may, don't come to the "Newbie" discussion forum if your going to complain about it OR Ignore the threads that ask for help on new purchases. Because it appears to me thats what this forum is for.

And if the more advance digital photographers want to share information and not be bothered by the amateurs, create a new discussion forum on this site and call it something like ..."Advanced Digicam Help".....just a suggestion.

Anyway....thanks for letting me share. Hope all are having a wonderful new year so far, all 6 days of it. And I'm certain that once I FINALLY make my digital camara purchase I will frequent this site more and share more. I can't wait!!
Kevin
krich525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by krich525
... I'm a little dissapointed that I haven't gotten a single response. But, I am a little surprised that nearly 45 people have viewed the post since I opened it, and not a single one has made even the slightest of comments. ....
How many people could answer your question? When the question is put in terms of "which camera?", the people who can answer are those who are currently shoping for a camera - not many others are going to be reading all of the detailed reviews. That is likely to be newbies who tend to be a bit shy about putting in their two cents worth.

Sort of a pity the newbies don't get into the fray: even if their answer is a bit off the mark. it will serve as a starting point for further coments/information. Folks here don't flame, though you might get grumped at:-(

When you specify the specifics of the camera, the potential number of people who can answer is even less, e.g., if you are looking for a camera in the $3-400 range, those who are looking at DSLRs aren't going to answer.

So I don't find zero answers to question like that at all surprising. There just aren't that many folks who have the knowledge to answer, and there is no point to posting a message that says, "I don't know."

A better form of a beginer's question would be something like, "I want to be able to take pictures at parties. What are the important charactoristics I should look for?" That will give the information needed to fairly quickly sift to a short list, e.g., external flash, large aperature, long zoom not needed, ...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 1:07 PM   #16

Quote:
I agree with much of what you say, however I was thinking of a "drive-by shooting": fire a few rounds into a random house and run away.
As a note to all the good people: "An armed society- is a polite society" :P

Kidding aside, no...I wouldn't encourage others to be a driveby poster but should they be, I answer and they don't respond back...well, no sweat off my brow.
The only people I could find myself eventually giving a "cold shoulder" to are those who come in with questions, given answers, disappear and come back- only to repeat the process.
Always picking your brain but never offering a "thank-you" or a follow-up and never willing to contribute (should they stay), if/when they can.

Quote:
I don't know that for sure either, but it seems a reasonable assumption for people who ask total strangers to tell them what to do.
People do that often, in one form or the other (thinking gullibility here, in that some people seem to always believe what's told them) but that's a whole other subject. One for which I will leave to a political/social debate forum. lol
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 3:57 PM   #17

Here's my 3 cents. . This question really cannot be answered by another person. Lets face we all want different things from cameras. When we first want a camera we say we want this we want that. Thats because we are seeing all the wonderful pictures that people are taking and say to ourselves that we want to take pictures like those. But the truth is that what a lot of people want is a simple point and shoot. So if someone who falls in this catergory asks someone the "worst question" and the responce is the digital rebel, 5700 or S7000 . They would have just wasted a couple hundred dollars. There is nothing wrong with the question but lets face it someone else cant answer that question for you.... And also remeber that people have there own prefrences. Some are Oly, Nikon, Fuji, Canon. They all have different opinions.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote