Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:18 PM   #1

Default Re: "The worst question"

Steve and many here are certainly inundated with that "worst question" of which camera to buy, and at the same time, the person trying to make a choice for his/her first digital camera is also indundated, but it's with way too much information, far too many conflicting opinions, and much of it given in what might seem a foreign language. I feel sympathy for both sides.

The newcomer must first figure out what he/she wants to do with a camera before deciding which camera to buy. The person wanting to take pictures of family and friends will want a different camera from the person who wants to photograph landscapes. The camera that works well for one won't necessarily work well for the other.

Besides the excellent information given here on Steve's DigiCams, Imaging Resource has an excellent section to help newbies in their decision. You can find it at http://www.imaging-resource.com/GETSTART.HTM#authors where there are articles, at least one of which should help.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:38 PM   #2

Barbara, you hit the nail on the head when you said that the person needs to determine what they want from the camera. The question "Which is best?" just can't be answered with anything beyond subjective opinions.

I don't normally try to answer any of those vague questions, but I can also emphathize for the person inundated with information overload trying to sort out the mass of information available. On the other hand, sometimes I think we (as consumers) tend to overanalyze and obsess about our purchases -- only to find out that by the time we buy, the rules have changed.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 12:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the site tip. Got an updated driver for my old camera on my new computer.
Do have a new idea for a new camera, have done all the research and am having buyers remorse in advance. :? Over analyze and obsess........ya think?

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 6:32 AM   #4

Steve's picks for 2003

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...tml#bestof2003
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 8:32 PM   #5

I can appreciate how the established camera user and forum responder may hate to respond to the “which camera” question, but as a layperson looking to upgrade my digital camera there is no bigger question.

Now I know why I did not receive the number of answers I anticipated while I am in the midst of making such an agonizing decision. However, I must thank those who did provide feedback because it was and is very much appreciated.

I read every review I could find but most of them were written off of the manufactures description and not from real users. The review of the D100 on this site is over a year old. I was looking for timely comments and insight from people who are compassionate and knowledgeable about their equipment and possibly had first hand experience with both cameras.

Please, on behalf of newbies, do not stop responding to this old tired question. Maybe you can start a new “how to decide on a camera” forum and put it at the very top and then direct the generic which camera question to this topic. But when people are down to two or three different cameras we are looking for specific help and appreciate heart-felt replies.

Thanks.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:15 PM   #6

Quote:
But when people are down to two or three different cameras we are looking for specific help and appreciate heart-felt replies.
Down to a few choices is much different than "what's the best camera for me to buy under $200 that takes great pictures of football games at night and has 50X zoom and doesn't give red eye and I can put in my pocket and....."
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 6:47 PM   #7

PKchopper

If you are still out there, the reason the D100's review is that old is because the camera really hasn't changed since then. They have upgraded the firmware, so that could deserve some comments. But I don't believe they changed much (just fixed a few bugs) its basically the same thing since it came out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 7:29 PM   #8

It's all good if it's your field and or hobby..the noobs like myself who read the reviews, study the "Digital Terms section", and have specfic needs/desires..and have narrowed it down to 3 or so cameras, should find a soft chair and read each makes specfic forums..make your choice and then go to a reputable local dealer with a "no ?'s asked return policy" bite the bullet and get one..if it works ok for you GREAT, keep it and be happy ..if not return and go to 2nd choice...just remember that it's up to you to get EXACT return policy...(ex my shop said 100% return if software not opened)...Almost every forum that you look at will deal more with the guys and gals who really enjoy their cameras (notice plural) and would rather answer a serious ? on white balance, purple fringing,shutter speeds,vignetting, etc; then answer another"which is the best camera ?"...from a casual user/poster..my 2 ¢
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 2:27 AM   #9

Everyone raises good points here. My thoughts:

I believe in the golden rule, "Do onto others as you would have them do to you."

Since I have had a computer, I've learned so much while navigating through the "information super-highway."
People dedicating their time and sharing their opinions/knowledge. I've learned a great deal from folks willing to help.
My way of saying thanks to them and while also understanding others who are where I once was...is by doing the same, when & where I can.

Yes, there are people who want to bypass reading reviews etc. and want others to tell them what to look at/what to buy...such is life as is evident in other areas.
I think most people can discern who these people are versus others who have done some "homework" and simply would like to hear actual responses by "average" people, who they think might have experience.

Wading through all the information is, at times, exasperating and overwhelming. What do the average users of these products have to say? The bottom line and one in which I always search out. Likewise, I write reviews on products and leave ratings for merchants so that others like me can read them.

In the past, I have met some pretty arrogant, pretentious people. Approaching them with a question they would know, that I've tried to figure out/understand but never fully able to "grasp" it...only to be given a response likened to, "You'll never be as good as me, don't try, don't ask...haha know nothing newbie/wannabe" The impression, anyway.
Fortunately, such people as these (that I've met) have been few and far between.
I can't help but wonder if they are afraid to share, for fear that others may put the information/tip to good use. Thus the "newbie" being a tiny step closer to being able to do/know what the other does/knows.

The reason I've stated the above paragraph is; that when you immediately shun questions, give a "cold shoulder" for seemingly no apparent reason, the impression left for the person asking may be as I've stated above. Or perhaps, it leaves the newcomer with the feeling that because they haven't established themselves within a group, they aren't being accepted and hence their question (s) go unanswered.

Anyway.

When I read Steve's initial "sticky" note, it struck me as being written by someone highly agitated.
Why? I wondered. It wasn't for my benefit as I respond to posts that I want/able to and leave the other posts alone. No big deal.
Was it a matter of bandwidth? My following question.
Then he stated that others have personally emailed him asking which camera they should purchase. Rude, lazy and just plain tacky!
Now that would definitely agitate me too!
His situation being quite different than ours.

There are a number of people here who are very helpful, even with those seemingly broad questions of "which camera should I buy". A simple question usually reveals that the person asking has been doing some sort of research. Some folks simply hit a bump in the road and would like to know what that's all about. Or looking for pointers as to what direction to look in.

As a sidenote, all this is particularly difficult for many of the "seniors" who are genuinely trying to learn all this new technology.
What may seem like second nature to the younger generation, might be a very daunting endeavor for the older generation.
When dealing with my own parents involving technology, I find that I must exercise a great deal of patience

Alright, enough having come from my corner of the ring.
If we all followed the golden rule, we'd be living in a much better world. 8)
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by informativetoo
... There are a number of people here who are very helpful, even with those seemingly broad questions of "which camera should I buy". A simple question usually reveals that the person asking has been doing some sort of research. Some folks simply hit a bump in the road and would like to know what that's all about. Or looking for pointers as to what direction to look in.
I pretty much never answer the "what camera?" question, in part because it cannot be answered, and in part because a high percentage of those questions are "drive-by": the folks who ask never come back to see if there is an answer. They seem to go to every photo forum they can find, ask their question, then go into Best-Mart and buy whatever the sales clerk is pushing that day.

The folks who come back and refine their question seem to get good responses. Keep the old saying in mind, "Life is like a sewer, you only get out of it what you put into it."
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote