Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:06 AM   #11

The company told me to bring it in. Yeah, sure, it'll only cost me like 2 grand to fly there! They must forget they do online orders too!

This is the second time it won't turn on AT ALL with a full battery. I'm getting very upset. I told them that they need to send me a new battery in the mail. I need my camera for my online shop, so this is EXTREMELY inconvenient, especially for a camera that cost $1000 bucks!!! It's P me off if it was a $100 camera!!!

*snarl*
QTsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:32 AM   #12

As Ordo recommends, clean the contacts on both the battery and camera with alcohol before any other action is taken. A while back, my furnace was acting up by shutting down the gas after a few seconds of lighting the burners. Yep, I had to clean the contacts.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:21 AM   #13

I just ship it to them, that is what I do when I need service. I call the newport news center. They set up the whole thing over the phone. Which service center did you call. They have a east and a west coast facility.

Customer Support Center at 1-800-OK-CANON

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTsmum View Post
The company told me to bring it in. Yeah, sure, it'll only cost me like 2 grand to fly there! They must forget they do online orders too!

This is the second time it won't turn on AT ALL with a full battery. I'm getting very upset. I told them that they need to send me a new battery in the mail. I need my camera for my online shop, so this is EXTREMELY inconvenient, especially for a camera that cost $1000 bucks!!! It's P me off if it was a $100 camera!!!

*snarl*

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 25, 2011 at 8:24 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
As Ordo recommends, clean the contacts on both the battery and camera with alcohol before any other action is taken. A while back, my furnace was acting up by shutting down the gas after a few seconds of lighting the burners. Yep, I had to clean the contacts.
Ok, I'll try that this afternoon! I'm scared.
QTsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:42 PM   #15

First, Try the alcohol on a lens cap to see if any bad reaction occurs. Some plastics may be sensative to denatured alcohol. Just use a lint free rag with a small area moistened with the solvent.

Last edited by Streets; Jan 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Yep. May be a meticulous contact's cleaning can help.
Quote:
I see this advice all the time in forums as a cure all solution, but think it's pretty overrated. Nikon had some issues (DBS) with some cameras that was supposedly cured by cleaning contacts...it was eventually fixed with a firmware update. Under normal conditions, I just cant see how the contacts will get dirty enough to create an issue. I've never cleaned the contacts of any camera I've ever owned...never even seen any accumulated crud that needed to be cleaned. Plus in the this case, the OP mentioned that the camera is brand new...no way dirty contacts should be an issue. She should just call Canon for warranty service or exchange the item. Usually if the camera is acting erratically, while cleaning the contacts may help, I think it usually indicates some bigger issue and the camera will soon be needing service.

Unfortunately, sending the camera back for exchange or service is inconvenient, and a pain in the a$$, but these things do happen from time to time, and all brands occasionally suffer from this.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:29 AM   #17

Problems with battery contacts do happen, even if infrequently, and it is very easy to give them a quick cleaning. If it doesn't solve the problem, no harm is done. If it does, it saves at least the time required to return the camera and get it back. Electrical contact problems can be caused by corrosion, which is unlikely in this case, or by grease (from handling) or residue from sticky tape (more likely). A quick cleaning with rubbing alcohol will remove grease and most tape residue. (if it doesn't remove it, it will make it show)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Problems with battery contacts do happen, even if infrequently, and it is very easy to give them a quick cleaning. If it doesn't solve the problem, no harm is done. If it does, it saves at least the time required to return the camera and get it back. Electrical contact problems can be caused by corrosion, which is unlikely in this case, or by grease (from handling) or residue from sticky tape (more likely). A quick cleaning with rubbing alcohol will remove grease and most tape residue. (if it doesn't remove it, it will make it show)

brian
I do agree...it doesn't hurt to clean the contacts. However, I just don't think its a cure all, and for a new camera, any issue is likely bigger than just dirty contacts.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:24 PM   #19

No one said that this would be a cure-all. It's more similar to checking your vehicle's battery connections before you cough up the bucks for a new battery.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
No one said that this would be a cure-all. It's more similar to checking your vehicle's battery connections before you cough up the bucks for a new battery.
Again, not saying it may not be useful, but honestly, what is the probability of a brand new camera needing the contacts to be cleaned?? As long as the camera is under warranty, it's a better idea to return the camera or have it serviced. I'd rather be safe and get it taken care of, than apply a do it yourself fix that may only mask or temporarily take care of the real problem.

As I said before, I've never cleaned my battery contacts...either on my camera or my car