Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:50 PM   #1

Default Downloading picts from Olympus C-750 problem

Hello!
I own a Olympus C-750 Uz camera for about 2 moths now and there is
something that is really getting my nerves.
I use Win Xp Pro edition, I don't know if it's a OS problem or
camera one.
When I take some picts, they are stored at XD Picture card in order
as I'm shooting.
When I download them to the PC, either using Autoplay Camera and
Scanner Wizard or ACDSee detector and the Acquire wizard, some of
the photos are downloaded and named at a diferent order.
Sometimes, even the 1st I've shoot is not the nbr 1 for that day
folder.
Is it something I should configure at the machine? is it a problem
with XP?
Most of pictures are ordered fine, but some don't!
I've talked to a friend that has the same camera and XP Pro also and
he has the same problem that I have.
Please give me a hand!
Love,
Andrea Oliveira
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:17 AM   #2

Andrea -

I'm using XP Pro also and have not had any problems sorting out my pictures.

I use the USB connector with the Xd card still in the camera. After I plug in the camera and turn it on, XP recognizes the camera as an external storage device. I use "edit" and "select all" and then drag and drop the pictures to the desired location. Off topic - I keep my pictures in separate folders marked for the day taken. Folder is named YYMMDD - "subject"; i.e., 031231 - New Year Celebration. The "YYMMDD" format keeps the folder in chronological sequence.

Now to your question on sorting of pictures. Only a few things come to mind -

Make sure the camera's clock is set correctly.

In the camera menu, under "setup", there's a setting for "file name". It should be set to "auto", not "reset". "Reset" resets the file name back to the "start" every time you turn you camera off. (This is most likely the cause.)

Similarly, you want "all reset" (also under "setup") to "off" so that you don't loose any of your settings that are different than the default settings the camera came with.

Don't edit the pictures in the camera. This may throw off the date time group in the exif file. (This is a wild guess!?!)

Once downloaded to your computer and in the correct folder, click on the date or name header at the top of the folder window to get the correct sort sequence.

I'm not sure what other things I can throw your way. Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Paul in Northern Virginia (NoVA), USA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:41 AM   #3

Hello!
I also use data file naming to organize my data!
For instance, today, with the happy new yar prty, I'll rename them as 31 - 12 - 03 - 001, ... , 31 - 12 - 03 - 999 n(the 31 - 12 - 04 is the date I took the picture and the 001,...,999 uis the number ordered 3 digits.
Well, I've tryied a bit today and I realized that if I just transmit my pictures with the original name files (P1010001, for instance) they came um with the right order I took them. If I choose to transfer them and rename it at the same time with the XP camera and scanner wizar or with ACDsee Acquire wizard, they come up all mexed up, like nš 1 is not the fiorst I've shot and /or the last, or someone else, only a few came up in wrong order and consequently named wrong.
You rename youer files after transfering thme to the PC?
I hope this helped.
Love, Andrea
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 10:31 AM   #4

Hi Andrea -

I think you found the source of your problem - renaming the files as you down load them from your camera to the computer. I don't rename any files until after I've downloaded them to the correct folder. I download my pictures directly from the camera to the computer via USB; it's reasonably quick and I've never had any difficulties doing it this way.

Once I've downloaded the files, I open Photoshop Elements 2 to see what I've got. I then delete the real loosers. I usually don't rename all my files, just the ones I really like (although I have been known to use "batch rename" on a rare occasion.) I usually touch up my files a little - red eye, crop, quick level adjustment, etc. - and then I do a "save as" with a new name (or an "_A" or whatever appended to the original file name) in either PSD (really important stuff (son's wedding!!)) or in JPG for everyday snapshoots. I keep the original as the original.

Happy New Year!

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote