Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 1, 2004, 7:43 PM   #1

Default Canon's 'series' letters - what do they Mean? (A, S, G)

Apologies in advance, i've searched the web till i'm *blue*. could someone _please_ tell me what the various Canon series letters mean? G, S, A and so forth. (ex: G5, S400, A70)

i.e. how do G series cameras differ from S series, etc. do the letter-designations indicate a particular function? believe me when i say, this is Not as easy to find out as you might assume (least for someone who knows nothing about photography).

am trying to piece together a direct photo/card photo camera/printer combo for extensive travel.

the Canon CP 200 and CP 300 look interesting, but--at mininum--i need to know what those series-letters indicate for the cameras.

Thank You to anyone kind enough to respond!

Karen
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 9:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Don't know if the letters have a specific meaning but the "A" series for the most part are entry-level cameras, the "S" series are more serious but compact cameras, the "G" series is the top of the line consumer digicams but physically larger.

The only difference between the CP200 and CP300 printers is that the CP300 has a battery for true portable operation - otherwise they are identical.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 1:06 AM   #3

***thank you*** Steve, i've primarily been focusing on Canon cameras, due to your reviews of the CP 200/300 and their compatibility with same. earlier today, the Olympus Stylus 400 popped up as a camera to consider. was taken with the fact that it's more tolerant of temp and humidity variation, but don't see info about it being PictBridge ready/able/whatever the proper term is. and i Must have direct camera-to-printer capability.

how important Is pictbridge really?
is this something one would soon regret not having?

Karen
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 10:06 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen 1031
***thank you*** Steve, i've primarily been focusing on Canon cameras, due to your reviews of the CP 200/300 and their compatibility with same. earlier today, the Olympus Stylus 400 popped up as a camera to consider. was taken with the fact that it's more tolerant of temp and humidity variation, but don't see info about it being PictBridge ready/able/whatever the proper term is. and i Must have direct camera-to-printer capability.

how important Is pictbridge really?
is this something one would soon regret not having?

Karen
PictBridge is the new standard for Direct Printing and it seems as if more and more manufacturers are jumping on this bandwagon so I would say yes, it is important. Especially if you want to use the CP200 or CP300 printer.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 5:12 PM   #5

Default Pictbridge...

I don't think pictbridge is much usable.

It prints directly from the camera. :!:

But there is no camera which takes excellent shots in every condition, most of them must be post-processed. :roll:

If you are a pro. and you know your camera may be yes.

But I don't think it is important for the others especially who use automode everytime. :twisted:

For me, a nice to have feature but useless..... :roll:

Looks like money trap.....

(May God, I'm disagree with our Master-Save me please)-Joking

Just my poor ideas.....
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:25 PM   #6

Quote:
-Apologies in advance, i've searched the web till i'm *blue*. could someone _please_ tell me what the various Canon series letters mean? G, S, A and so forth. (ex: G5, S400, A70)
I don't know about Canon's naming concention, but I am pretty sure that Olympus uses the following:
C::= Cheap (c.f., C-3020), but pretty good.
E::= Expensive (c.f., E1), but pretty good.
D::= Don't care to enter into the tech/spec debate, I just wanna fo out and take pictures! (c.f. , D510), also pretty good, just don't tell your snob-ish brother in-law.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote