Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:27 PM   #1

Default Sigma lenses

Are these lenses any good? Ebay has was seems to be a good package with these lenses, but I wonder if you don't get what you pay for. Will I sacrifice much quality with these lenses?
hangloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:58 PM   #2

They have good ones and they have poor ones. With lenses, it is relatively true that you get what you pay for in most cases.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 9:51 PM   #3

The only way to answer the question is to specify exactly which lens you are thinking about, and what you want to do with it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 6:50 AM   #4

Is there an equivalent to http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2_PC.html for Sigma ?
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 9:13 AM   #5

This site does some "live user" lense reviews photographyreview

I know people who have sigma lenses and really like them.
I had a lemon that fortunately broke a few days before the warranty ended.
That particular lense then spent a year going back and forth to sigma for repair, comming back with something different "fixed" each time. Everything except the diaphram that was jammed opened.
After a year they finally gave in and sent a new lense, which has been working so far.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:52 PM   #6

checklg

Not that I know of. But there is this site that I use:

http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html

They compare all lenses for a given mount, including Tamron, Sigma and others. And their opinion seems to match other places and forums that I read on.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

This site's review are also fairly good. Read all of them, and look for trends. It usually matches up with photozone quite well.

Eric
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:45 AM   #7

Thanks Eric. I've been particularly looking for reviews of their 800mm. What I've found so far appears to look good, but I'm still looking for more info on results with the D100.

Regards,
Graham.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:39 AM   #8

Do you mean the 300-800? So am I.

I talked to a serious nature photographer last night about that lens (he also works in a photography store.) He answer was multi-fold.

He asked to have one delivered on 3 different occasions and they wouldn't send him one (for demo'ing at trade shows. No one is going to buy a lens that expensive without seeing it and/or trying it.

Because of that, everything else is what he's heard.)

Optically it is good (matches what I've heard.)

Its AF isn't very fast. IT doesn't suck, but it's not in the same ballpark as the Nikon/Canon 500 or 600mm. It is reported to be HSM, but clearly that isn't the whole story. (my thought: This could partially be that it's f5.6... but that doesn't explain all of it.)

It's close focusing distance is fairly far out (236" / 600cm). He didn't like that. I'm not sure completely why, as the Canon 600mm is 18' & the 500mm is 14.8'.

I got the feeling that the zoom and its range was appealing to him, but these downsides keep him from getting it (i.e. if they aren't going to send one to the store, these would stop him from getting it on his own.) If I could borrow/cheaply rent one, I certainly would give it ago when spring comes. But it's a difficult choice between it and the optically amazing 500/600mm that people make.

Eric
Old Jan 7, 2004, 4:14 AM   #9

Eric, I'm particularly thinking of the Sigma 800mm f5.6 APO EX prime. I've considered the 300-800 zoom, but in terms of my bird photography I'd expect to end up on 800mm most of the time. Also, I think that the Nikon 600mm is simply outside my price bracket.

Regards,
Graham.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:00 AM   #10

Is that a manual focus one? Or do they actually have an AF lens at that focal length? Ohh... time to do a little research.

I stopped looking at lenses that long because they all seemed to be manual focus, and with the 10D, the view finder just isn't bright or contrasty enough to make MF a good option with a fast moving subject like birds.

Eric