Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 5, 2004, 6:32 AM   #1

Default Factory Refurbished

I was looking at a camera to purchase and found that Factory Refurbished cameras can run hundreds less. I was wondering what your thoughts where on Factory Refurbished products? I have never knowingly purchased such a product and Im wondering what the risks are? If one was to buy such a product I am thinking it would be smart to purchase an Extended Warranty. I noticed they are offered for 90 Days or up to three years. Bottom line is a Refurbished product worth buying, or is it more trouble than its worth? Thanks.[/b]
SoCopasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 8:15 AM   #2

Factory refurbished often means it was broken and now they've fixed it. I've recently come across an example of a supplier shipping computer equipment with re-furbished hard disks. Their failure rate is far higher.

My general rule of thumb would be -

"If it contains moving parts don't buy refurbished, unless you're willing to throw it away when it doesn't work."

NEW equipment should come with (at least) a free one year warranty. That covers you against bad units shipped from the factory that are either dead on arrival or die very shortly afterwards. If they aren't immediately deffective they tend to last quite well.

A final note of caution. If you decide to go down the refurbished road, and are considering an Extended Warranty, look at the conditions of the extended warranty very carefully. Particularly the conditions under which the item can be used.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:52 AM   #3

I have purchased a refurbished Olympus camera from their site and then purchased the Olympus extended warranty. The camera is still working after the two year warranty has expired. I would try and purchase the refurbs directly from the manufator and purchase their extended warranty.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:26 PM   #4
Administrator

In most cases with Digital Cameras, a refurbished product comes to be, simply because a customer changed their mind and returned it.

I consider refurbished digicams to be potentially more reliable, since they were inspected once upon manufacturer, and again (probably more thoroughly) after being returned to the manufacturer.

I've purchased a factory reconditioned Nikon camera (Coolpix 950) in the past. It arrived in perfect condition. I was unable to distinquish it from a brand new camera in any way, even upon very close inspection. Even the packaging (software, cables, docs, etc.) were perfect -- just like in a new camera.

For my money, I'd take refurbished (provided it was a genuine factory refurbished model) over new any day of the week, if a refurbished product was available for a model I was considering - based on my experience with them in the past.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:20 PM   #5
lg

I have purchased two refurbished cameras, and both perform just as well as the one I bought brand new. They both came with a 90 day warranty, and were 30% less than what I paid brand new.

As Phil suggested, it may be wise to purchase directly from a authorized refurbished reseller endorsed by the manufacturer. The two I bought were "Class A" refurbished. According to the reseller, this means that they come with everything that came in the box with the original retail package. With the exception of not having three separate manuals (English/Spanish/French), this was true in my case.

I use eBay, and there's a lot of stuff being sold as refurbished that has some parts missing. Nothing functional that would keep the cameras from operating, but you need to ask the right questions to ensure you are getting everything in the original retail package. Resellers ofter remove, or note as missing, items such as lens caps, batteries and charger, remote, etc. The old addage "Buyer Beware" is a good one to go by!

I'd take into account how good a deal it is compared to a new one, ensure that you have SOME warranty (90-day), are satisfied with what's included in the package, and evaluate whether new or refurbished is best for you. Good luck!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:47 PM   #6
Administrator

BTW, mine was purchased directly from the manufacturer. Nikon maintains a Nikonmall web site, and you can order refuribished cameras directly from them.

I don't know if other manufacturers do the same thing or not. Here is the Nikon link:

http://www.nikonmall.com/searchresul...&searchcatid=3
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:52 PM   #7

Jim

Thanks for the link to Nikonmall. I have a friend that will be interested.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:35 AM   #8
PSP

I've owned several different refurbished digital cameras over the last few years, and never had a hint of trouble with any of them. Generally they show NO signs of use whatsoever, and I consider them to be a terrific value.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote