Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:16 AM   #1

Default Video recording issue with light

Hello everyone,

I just gotten myself a new digital camera, and I have some problems with recording videos.. with the light.

Please take a look at the following videos I've uploaded taken on the camera...

In the first video, you see the light flickering and it is irritating.
In the second video, there is no problem with the lighting at all.

I recorded in auto mode, and sometimes I would see the flickering, and sometimes not.

Can someone explain to me why this happens? Or tell me how I can resolve this issue.. (is it some settings?)

It is a pain to record any video with the flickering lights...

"Weird" Lighting: http://www.youtube.com/embed/29zdFKN9jzc

Normal Lighting: http://www.youtube.com/embed/RMGkAioCxf8

Really appreciate your help as I'm attending a event soon and would like to record it with my new camera... (without the flickering lights!!)

Thank you!
Needs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:12 PM   #2

Btw, im using Fuji's 550EXR.

Apparently, I called up and asked, and they say it was to do with the light frequency :\ He says it happens for all cameras... (I should have tested on my iPhone's camera)

Anyone have any take on this?

The thing is I shot it at the same exact location and setting, (probably just a few seconds apart) ... so if thats the case, the video should both turn out the same :\ but it didn't...

PS: I apologise deeply if this is an known issue for all cameras... Otherwise, appreciate all your help!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:49 AM   #3

Florescent lighting can do that. It seems that, in the first clip, most of the light was coming from an overhead florescent light, but in the second, it was coming from a window.

Can you confirm that?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Florescent lighting can do that. It seems that, in the first clip, most of the light was coming from an overhead florescent light, but in the second, it was coming from a window.

Can you confirm that?
Hello TCav, Thanks for the help!

Both are from the same light source... the florescent light on the ceiling.
I took both videos within 10 minutes.

Basically what I did was :
1) Recorded the one with werid lighting
2) Turn off camera, and on and repeated this until I manage to somehow record the video without the light issue...

It is during time night at about 9pm, and apart from being quite far away from the windows, there is no external light source.

I believe this is a settings issue? Or at least I hope it was...

Because I am on auto mode when recording both the videos...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:24 AM   #5

Update:

Interesting add on:

Refusing to give up, I tried recording again with fluroscent light, and this is my discovery...

1) I started recording the table, and see the flickering lights.
2) Thereafter, I stopped the recording.
3)) I full zoomed into the fluroscent light at the ceiling, and started recording.
4) I unzoomed, and pointed my camera to shoot the table, and I do not see the flickering lights anymore.
5) I stopped the recording,
6) I proceeded to recorded just the table, and it is fine, with no flickering lights.

PS: Once i on off the camera, I see the flickering lights when recording again.

So I'm guessing it's some settings... right? Because I'm on Auto mode...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Super Moderator

as you had looked up for your 2nd post. it has to do with the frequency of the light and the shutter speeds. because your camera is in auto-mode that is why you are seeing it sometimes and sometimes not as such small things as zooming can change the shutter speed. also, the frequency of light is not 100% consistent, so that could account for some too.

the only way around it is to find flicker free shutter speeds. i am not sure what video controls you have available, most point and shoots is not many. it probably won't occur too often though. you can work around it by shooting during a time when there is some window light that will change the exposure, or adding another light until the auto mode changes the shutter speeds enough to not be in the frequency of light.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the frequency of light is not 100% consistent, so that could account for some too.
The light intensity is not a 100% constant as it will vary with line voltage but the frequency of the light flicker is very constant as it is the result of line frequency which is very stable. The power grid collapses if it isn't.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote