Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 6, 2004, 6:10 AM   #1

Default Maintain Exif data

Hi,

I am a complete novice with a new digital camera (IXUS 400).
I have taken pictures, downloaded them and altered them using a variety of packages, (Adobe photoalbum, Arcsoft, Offiuce Picture manager etc). However I would like to be able to copy the pictures back to the camera so I can take the CF card to my local outlet to get prints, rather than having copy them to CD first.
I understand the reason may be because the camera specific EXIF data is removed by the editing/viewing software.
Is there a way to achieve what I want?

Many thanks,

Gerry
gerry.barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2004, 9:24 AM   #2

I could be wrong here, but I don't think you can rewrite photo data from the computer to the camera. I don't know the reason why it can't be done, but I have seen this discussion elsewhere. Perhaps, someone can explain why not or can tell you how to do it if it is possible.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:26 AM   #3

Default Re: Maintain Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry.barnett
I understand the reason may be because the camera specific EXIF data is removed by the editing/viewing software.
For discussions of this see threads...
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...492&highlight=
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...8486&highlight
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...?p=51203#51203

However, a good photoprinter should be able to print from any jpeg image on the card (with appropriate cropping), provided it's in a file structure his/her computer can read. It may not matter that your camera can't read the file or the exif data.

This can even lead to duplicate prints sometimes, when the camera has a 'preview' display image stored in a separate folder on its card as well as the full resolution image.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:37 AM   #4

You can copy edited photos back to your media card. You will not be able preview them on the camera. The photolab should be able to read the files and print them.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
You can copy edited photos back to your media card. You will not be able preview them on the camera. The photolab should be able to read the files and print them.
When I attempt to copy edited files back to the camera using the Canon zoombrowser s/w, it rejects it saying this is not an image made on this camera.
DO I need to use a card reader/writer?
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:08 AM   #6

Gerry

Do not use the camera software to move the photos back to the card. You camera is displayed as a removable driver under MY COMPUTER. Copy the files from your folder on your hard drive back to the card. I would rename the files that you are moving back to the card. I would also format the card (in your camera) before moving the files. Your camera will not be able to view the pics but the photolab's computer will have no problems.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:09 AM   #7

Default Re: Maintain Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry.barnett
For discussions of this see threads...
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...492&highlight=
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...8486&highlight
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...?p=51203#51203

However, a good photoprinter should be able to print from any jpeg image on the card (with appropriate cropping), provided it's in a file structure his/her computer can read. It may not matter that your camera can't read the file or the exif data.

This can even lead to duplicate prints sometimes, when the camera has a 'preview' display image stored in a separate folder on its card as well as the full resolution image.

Alan,

My problem is getting the edited files back to the card in the first place. I do not currently have a CF reader/writer and the Canon Zoombrowser so far refuses to copy edited files back to the camera CF card.

Regards,

Gerry
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
Gerry

Do not use the camera software to move the photos back to the card. You camera is displayed as a removable driver under MY COMPUTER. Copy the files from your folder on your hard drive back to the card. I would rename the files that you are moving back to the card. I would also format the card (in your camera) before moving the files. Your camera will not be able to view the pics but the photolab's computer will have no problems.
Phil,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. My PC is not seeing the camera as a disk drive. It is a Canon IXUS 400. My daughter's Minolta Xt is seen as a removeable disk drive, but not the Canon.
I am using W2K. The software installation notes seem to indicate that this would be the case for other than XP, but perhaps I need to re-install the software/drivers. Thanks again for your time.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:27 AM   #9

Gerry

I think you will have to buy a card reader. I am not familiar with this model by Canon.

Phil