Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:43 PM   #1

Default A little help?

I am pretty new to photography and looking for a little help. I have owned a Canon 50D for about two years and never really got into quality photography. I do understand most of the basics but still need some work.

I recently purchased a Canon 1D Mark II at a pretty good price and had a few questions. I understand the difference between the 1D and 50D as far as speed and full sensor but is there a big difference between image quality? The 50D appears to be sharper than the 1D. The image on the 1D becomes clear as soon as I zoom in Lightroom, even the slightest bit. I am not sure if the picture is "soft" or just out of focus.

I took a test photo with both cameras on a tripod, with the exact same settings, single point focus, and using the same lens (Canon 70-200 f2.8 L series lens). The 50D looks much better. Could the camera need some kind of adjustment for focus? Does a lens need adjustment?

Again I am new and understand this may be an amateur question but thanks for any help.
ImageRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:09 PM   #2

If both cameras are shooting JPEG you should investigate the colour and sharpness settings in the menus to see if they are similar. It would appear the 1D may not have the sharpening cranked up as much as the 50D.

If one or both cameras are shooting RAW then it is up to you to post process the files to your taste.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:11 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. Both were shooting in JPEG. I will have to try and find the sharpening setting on the 1D. Or do you happen to know the setting? Yes, kind of lazy I know.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:09 AM   #4

Sorry, I'm not familiar with your specific cameras.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:11 AM   #5

If you don't the manual you can download it from the mfr's web site.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote