Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 24, 2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Correct exposure display

Hi...Tonight I was reading Bryan Peterson's, Understaning Digital Photography. He makes a lot of mention to adjust shutter speed until the correct exposure is indicated??? LOL Okay, so now I have my manual on my D90 out and found where that display is in my camera. Who knew?

I fired off a few shots and I'm not sure I get it. Can this tool be helpful and does anyone use this? I have been mostly using Aperture mode w/ random Manual use.

Thanks
Jen
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2

The camera's exposure meter will indicate over- or under - exposure, based on how you have set up the metering - (spot, matrix, or center weighted). It is a useful tool, as long as you understand what it is doing. Adjusting shutter speed is one way of controlling exposure. Changing aperture is another. Changing the sensitivity (ISO number) is a third.
These three things, together, control exposure. If you are using aperture priority mode, you have selected the aperture you want to use, and the camera will adjust the shutter speed to give you the 'correct' exposure. (for a given ISO setting) In this case, you may want to apply a plus or minus exposure value, depending on the type of scene and lighting, but the camera is automatically controlling the exposure. In manual mode, you have to make the adjustments yourself, depending on what is most important to you for the particular picture. ( depth of field - stopping motion, etc.)
Hope I haven't added to your confusion.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 4:16 PM   #3

Thanks

I actually got out to the park w/ my lil girl and tried this feature in A and M mode. "meter in the viewfinder" I was clicking and adjusting... I think I learned something, at least about my camera. Exposure will take some time

Thanks
Jen
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 4:23 PM   #4

It does. Also, check up on how to read a histogram. I often use that over the standard little brackets the camera displays to help me figure out the best exposure.

Also, a little post-editing can help a lot.
Main area of "expertise": Landscape (beaches), Macro, Foliage, B&W
Saltine713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 9:01 AM   #5

I really like Bryan Peterson's books, he's very good at explaining how things work with photography, including those occasional times when a camera can be fooled.

The nice thing about doing it manually is that you get experience with just how easy it is to set your exposure. For instance, camera light-meters are fooled by snow and if you were to leave the exposure settings to the camera, your snow would look grey. By being used to using manual controls you can quickly set the controls the way you want (I want to over-expose by a stop or maybe two - set aperture, put camera to eye, watch exposure meter until it shows that it's overexposed by what I want, then shoot). No taking the camera off your eye because you just realized your camera isn't set to overexpose, adjusting the Ev factor (telling the camera how much you want it to over-expose by), then putting it back to your eye, just to find out that the deer has disappeared.

And yes, it takes time and especially lots of practice to learn all these things. Especially when to trust your camera and when to over-ride it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote