Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:41 PM   #1

Default Reducing image size for the web...

Could anyone tell me how to reduce an image's size (about 4 Mb) to a size that is good for a website, without losing the quality. Thanks!
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 1:16 AM   #2

Default Re: Reducing image size for the web...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix
Could anyone tell me how to reduce an image's size (about 4 Mb) to a size that is good for a website, without losing the quality. Thanks!
You can't: anything you do to reduce the file size will reduce the quality.

That isn't as bad as it might seem: your image is likely 2560 x 1920 - way to big for almost anyone to be able to see as a single image. If that is downsized to 640x480 it will be about factor of 16 smaller, or about 250K. That is still much larger than most folks with dial-up connections like, so you will still want to do more JPEG compression to get it smaller.

You have the choice of having a high resolution image that almost no one will look at because of the large file size, or a lower resolution image that people are more likely to look at.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks so much. Off to Adobe.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:55 PM   #4

Adobe makes good stuff, but it tends to have a price that goes with it being professional level. I suggest taking a look at IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/ - freeware). Very nice, simple program that is a set of utilities, thumbnail viewer, front end for your photo editor, ...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 5:59 AM   #5

For my particular 4Mpix camera I chose resizing to 708 x 532 pixels. Most PC users are now setting their graphics and monitor cards to 800X600 dpi and my resize figures are an exact scaling factor for my camera image. So with a medium amount of compression, extra sharpening and contrast tweaks for pc screens, I reckoned this was the best quality I would see, for a near full screen display. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:35 PM   #6

Well as said before you want to make the size fairly small for dialup internet users. But if you think that the smaller size doesn't do the image justice, you could always put a link to a larger version (maybe 1600x1200 or smaller) so DSL/Cable or higher internet users could see a better version.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote