Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Panasonic Lumix FZ1 or Minolta Z1????

I am new to this board and new to digital photography. I ordered a Panasonic Lumix FZ1 from Walmart online and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
Yesterday, I stopped by a camera shop to view this camera and hopefully get some tips. The clerk did not know much about the Lumix but showed me the Minolta Z1. I like it as well.
There are pros and cons to each of these cameras.
I am hoping someone can help me decide if I should keep the Lumix or send it back and go with the Minolta.......OR.....as a newbie (and a dumb one at that :roll: ), should I start out with a cheap digital until I get the hang of it??
Thanks for your help,
Brenda
BrendaStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:43 PM   #2

What will your primary use of the camera be? I have the FZ1 and love it! 12x optical stabilized zoom! IMO, since you already paid for the FZ1, keep it. It's an excellent camera!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:42 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. My FZ1 was delivered a few minutes ago and I am now charging the battery.
My son's wedding is this Saturday so I'm hoping to get used to it by then. I will be taking my trusty 35mm however.
I loathe reading manuals but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and figure out how to use this camera.
I will be using it for just about everything. Family events, vacations (I can't wait to use it in Vegas), my cats, etc.....
How is the macro on this? I want to be able to take pics for eBay.
Any beginners advice? Anyone? Remember, I am clueless.

Any basics I should buy in addition to the usual stuff that comes with it like strap, lens cover, hood, manual, a/c battery charger and what looks like a pc cable? It only has an 8mb SD. I know I want to upgrade to at least a 128 or 256 right away. I know I probably want a reader.

If you can tell me anything that would make this transition easier, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks!!

Brenda
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:26 PM   #4

Hi Brenda,

My FZ1 pictures are here:

http://photos.jacobfam.net

I would recommend a 128 or 256 card. Since prices are going down on SD you can get a good deal on 256. I have 2 PNY (128) cards, 1 SanDisk (128) and 1 SanDisk (256). I would recommend a card reader, so all you have to do is take the SD card out of the camera and slide it into the reader. You can get the JumpDrive Trio (by Lexar), which is the one I use, from Wal-Mart for $20.

I would also recommend an extra battery, you can get a 3rd party battery from Eaqle Imports for $19.95 (which is $5 less than I paid!).

Eagle Imports on eBay

Only get the batteries from Eagle Imports. I do not recommend you get them from any one else. There have been some bad batteries out there on eBay!

For a case, I use the Velocity 5 by Tamrac, it holds the camera, with the lens hood attached and has room for extras! (batteries, SD cards, filters, etc...) You might want to look at camera bags in a store, so you can hold it, look at it, and be comfortable with it!

As far as using the camera, I think you'll do just fine! It's a great camera. I am not a very good teacher, so maybe you should go over to the Panasonic forum (here at Steve's) and ask some questions there. Of course, you can always ask me and I'll do my best!

HTH (Hope That Helps)
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:59 PM   #5

I purchased the FZ1 about a month ago, and absolutely love it. I looked at the Minolta and the Kodak DX6490 before purchasing the FZ1, and I chose the FZ1 for the superior zoom and IS. My second choice was the DX6490 (big LCD, real easy to use), but the long zoom pics I tried came out blurry. Plus, it was $150 more. My pictures have come out great with the Panasonic. I print 4X6 or 5X7 99% of the time, and not even the guys at RitzCamera can tell they are from a 2mp camera. I can honestly say my pictures come out noticebly better than the 3MP & 4MP pictures I have seen. Also, because this is my first DC, and I knew I would rarely use the manual functions, I wanted something that worked really well in auto and included a variety of shooting modes.

When and if I get really serious about photography, I will get something with more manual features, but it will still have a long zoom and IS.

Geoff
gweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:54 PM   #6

Those are excellent prices on eBay but I need the battery and 256 SD by Saturday. I am having trouble locating the battery locally...but the SD is not a problem. Thanks for the great tips....and nice pics Jacob!
Old Jan 14, 2004, 6:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaStarr
Those are excellent prices on eBay but I need the battery and 256 SD by Saturday. I am having trouble locating the battery locally...but the SD is not a problem. Thanks for the great tips....and nice pics Jacob!
You're not going to be able to find the battery locally. If you need it by Saturday, I suggest you call Eagle Imports, 1-888-378-6888 or 801-463-1418 and talk to them. The battery should be $19.95. They are in Utah, and open M-F 9:30 - 5.

Oh, and thank you for the comments on my pictures!

-Neal