Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:54 PM   #31

Actually, the OP already got advice about equipment. What we're bouncing back and forth about is the different techniques he might use with it, including whether or not A Mode, M Mode, Active D-Lighting, Auto ISO and continuous shooting are tools or not.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:34 PM   #32

Interesting discussion, from the perspective of someone who doesn't shoot sports at all.
When I do watch pro sports on TV, I see that the professional camera operators are using video, which is pretty much the definition of continuous shooting, and there are about a dozen cameras going at once. Hmm.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
When I do watch pro sports on TV, I see that the professional camera operators are using video...
What would you expect them to use for TV? They'd use video to cover paint drying.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:46 AM   #34

Tcav - you seem to be confusing two concepts. I don't know a single sports shooter that doesn't use burst shooting. But, that doesn't mean they recommend your approach of spray and pray or "long bursts". But the reality of this discussion is: of the two of us, I'm the one who actually shoots sports. You are GUESSING at what sports shooters do. I do it. In a nutshell that's the problem I have with you arguing this. You're arguing a method for a certain type of photography where you've never demonstrated related competence. Why do you argue so adamantly for people to follow your advice on HOW to shoot sports when you don't do it? You THINK something should be a good method. By your own post, you're basing advice on what you think you see pros doing. That's the danger of the internet. Lots of advice. But I've found, especially when it comes to sports shooting, most advice givers don't really base their advice on actual experience.

So, based on actual hands-on experience shooting sports I can tell you your advice to rely on spray-and-pray is poorly given. Taking numerous 15-20 shot bursts in a game is a waste of time and won't get you the shots you need.

But, give it a try yourself. Go to a youth sporting event for hockey, baseball, softball, soccer, football, gymnastics - use your method of spray and pray and let's see the gallery of results you get using that method. In short, put your money where your advice is: instead of just theorizing how sports shooting should be done, try your own advice and see how your results compare to mine. That is where you and I differ. My advice is based on hands-on experience. Yours isn't. Which is why it's so dangerous. That's not a problem except you're so argumentative about your advice being valid. If it's valid, prove it. Step up to the plate so to speak.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:06 PM   #35

I'm not advocating long bursts! I may advocate bursts longer than can be accomodated in the typical buffer when shooting RAW+JPEG, but I've never said anything that might lead someone to believe that I suggest that they hold down the shutter button for hours or even minutes at a time.

As someone learns their subject and equipment, they will learn more precisely when they need to start shooting and when they can stop. Discrediting the practice out of hand does a disservice to everyone.

JohnG, I don't think I've ever said anything about continuous shooting that you'd disagree with, or even that you haven't already said yourself. We discussed A-Mode vs. M-Mode, but we've both always supported continuous shooting. In other words, it's not you that I'm arguing with.

I'm not in your league. You and I both know that. But while I don't frequently share my results here, that doesn't mean I don't shot sports.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'm not advocating long bursts!
That wasn't the impression I got when you wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes, I conceed that shooting continuous in long bursts will result in a lot of wasted shots. (I believe I already said that.) But it also increases the possiblility of catching the shot you want.
That sounds like you're advocating long bursts.

Perhaps, as you say, we're in more agreement than disagreement. So, let me state my opinion based upon experience:

Track the subject and shoot bursts of 2-4 shots in general, maybe as many as 8 frames in rare circumstances for long action. If you're regularly shooting in bursts longer than 5 frames you're doing something wrong.

And, I say that as someone who uses a 10fps camera - so yes, I understand I'm saying if you're shooting action longer than a second in duration you're likely doing something wrong - starting too early or continuing to shoot too long. Regularly using 15-20 shot bursts expecting that to improve your keepers is a poor way to shoot sports (in general - I obviously don't shoot every sport so I'm sure there are exceptions).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
... If you're regularly shooting in bursts longer than 5 frames you're doing something wrong.
... or you're learning. Applying an arbitrary limit upon a newbie is counterproductive. Let them shoot continuous for however long it takes for them to get the shot they want, and the next time they won't need as many. And maybe someday, they'll get down to 2-4 per burst. Ridiculing the practice outright is tying one hand behind their backs, and for no good reason.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:53 PM   #38

Perhaps I should try to avoid using inexact terms like "long".
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:50 PM   #39

"Long" is perfectly exact, it just isn't precise.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:14 PM   #40

Touché