Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 14, 2004, 6:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
if you're prepared to change your cards cluster size on big cards by doing an external format
Vox, How do you do this ?

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:00 AM   #12

Checklg........I know you're not a 'nube' and I've posted this info repeatedly here so it's there in my posts somewhere. Basically, under Win2K or XP DOS and a reader you can reformat (that's high level, not the low level manufacturer format). Under DOS you can set the soft switches in the command syntax to pre-set cluster sizes. My Fuji 602 will do its own in cam soft re-format afterwards without changing what you did outside the cam. However, I know the A70/80 puts it straight back to card size default, so you just delete files and don't do in cam formats.

Just as an example, say you're shooting big files 2-4Mb, RAWS, TIFFS or continuous movie. A 256Mb card might come formatted with a 4 or even 2 Kbyte cluster size -that's less wastage for lots of small pic files like 640X480's. but more and slower for big files and more pointers to keep in the FAT for each cluster. Ideally a file stored as one contiguous chunk in one cluster is ideal but FAT16 is not written for that.

I found the 8K cluster option gave an immediate speed improvement, with the other options of 16K and 32K just as good. Some card makers supplying the bigger faster cards (512Mb and above) may already have increased the default cluster size anyway. But you have to ask yourself, if I'd bought that big slower cheaper card, what speed improvement would I have gained if I'd just changed the cluster size to what they do on the faster more expensive new cards!

I'll post the old link if somebody else doesn't get there first. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:12 AM   #13

OK Here's the link to the thread, I'll thank lg now for his improved presentation over mine, on how to do it. Be careful, don't try this on your 1Gb fast new card!

If you've got Winhex, look at the cards default cluster size under 'properties'.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...format+fat+dos

Now y'all, you'll see from the link syntax that I just did a search on all the words cluster,format,fat, dos. Which just goes to show, that the truth is out there if you look!

PS if you do this on a proprietary Oly card you may make it generic and will probably lose pano camera function. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Checklg........I know you're not a 'nube' and I've posted this info repeatedly here so it's there in my posts somewhere
Sorry. Memory like a sieve.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote