Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 13, 2002, 6:21 PM   #1

Default Canon vs Olympus

Any comments on Canon G2 vs. Olympus 4040? Which is the better camera and why? I'm fairly new to digital photography, but I've used the Olympus 3040 and it seems like a pretty decent camera.
handsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2002, 7:00 PM   #2

Hand,
Got a 3040, 2100UZ, several other olympus, going to th 4040 I believe is mainly a megapiel increase. If you want to check out my Olympus page camera used noted when pictuure opened. Shot under many condions. My weapon of choice is the 2.1 mega 10X optical 2100UZ, the 3040 will capture a better image as you will see.
Gary

http://www.pbase.com/cologs/profile
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:31 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by handsandwich
Any comments on Canon G2 vs. Olympus 4040? Which is the better camera and why? I'm fairly new to digital photography, but I've used the Olympus 3040 and it seems like a pretty decent camera.
They're both excellent cameras that offer a quality lens and all possible exposure modes. I like the G2 because it uses CompactFlash cards or Microdrives and has an excellent rechargeable battery. It also has a hot shoe for adding flash easily. And you gotta love that flexible color LCD.

The Olympus C-4040 uses SmartMedia cards so you're stuck at 128MB max. It does use standard AA type batteries so that's a plus. To add an external flash is very pricey as Oly only has one and it requires a special bracket and cable - that plus the flash is about $450 ouch!

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 1:22 PM   #4

I had a C4040. It took fine pictures, but I didn't like the way it handled. Try to handle both before you decide, but I vote for the Canon. On the other hand, how about a Nikon 4500?
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote