Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Coolpix 4500 Portraits.............

I am reading everything I can find to help me do this.
I thought it was I good idea to ask the experts.
I have a Coolpix 4500 with tripod.
I will be in a large dining room with some windows and overhead florescent lights (not sure of bulb type yet).
I may get a Nikon TC-E2 2X Teleconverter (that is the one for portraits, right?) I'm still negotiating a price.
I want to take a head and shoulder photographs of someone sitting a crossed the table from me.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.

FDLeyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:23 PM   #2

Here is a link to the Steve's review of the camera. http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html
It seems there is a white balance bracketing mode, which could make getting a good looking photo less chancy in mixed lighting like you describe.
I would guess, not being familiar with the camera, that the zoom range is enough, and the minimum focus distance close enough, to get the kind of shots you describe without the teleconverter.
The only difficulty I would foresee, is that if the light is not good, the camera may have difficulty focusing where you want, as it does not have an autofocus assist light. You may have to take several trial pictures to get a good one. If the lighting is fairly bright, though, you should have no problem.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:18 PM   #3

G'day FD

To add to Brian's thoughts ...
The 4500 seems to be a 'simple' camera [not a complicated SLR] with limited lens options.
I am concerned that you are referring to "I may get a Nikon TC-E2 2X Teleconverter" as I don't think that the 4500 will accept teleconverters

I would like to know a bit more about your photo task to offer you some better suggestions regarding lighting etc ... can you tell us a bit more please

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:36 AM   #4

Default More reading.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Here is a link to the Steve's review of the camera. http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html
It seems there is a white balance bracketing mode, which could make getting a good looking photo less chancy in mixed lighting like you describe.
I would guess, not being familiar with the camera, that the zoom range is enough, and the minimum focus distance close enough, to get the kind of shots you describe without the teleconverter.
The only difficulty I would foresee, is that if the light is not good, the camera may have difficulty focusing where you want, as it does not have an autofocus assist light. You may have to take several trial pictures to get a good one. If the lighting is fairly bright, though, you should have no problem.

brian
After more reading I think if I place the subject close to one of the windows, at an angle, my lighting may be OK. I guess each additional lens "eats" some light.
I am going to do some test shots today.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:41 AM   #5

Default That is about it.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day FD

To add to Brian's thoughts ...
The 4500 seems to be a 'simple' camera [not a complicated SLR] with limited lens options.
I am concerned that you are referring to "I may get a Nikon TC-E2 2X Teleconverter" as I don't think that the 4500 will accept teleconverters

I would like to know a bit more about your photo task to offer you some better suggestions regarding lighting etc ... can you tell us a bit more please

Regards, Phil
I have read up on the 4500 and it does accept the lens. Some of the other Coolpixs need an adapter ring.
As far as my shooting situation the only thing I can add is that I have Photoshop Elements 7 on my computer.
I have upload my first shot to "Photo Critiques".

Last edited by FDLeyda; Jul 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM.