Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 13, 2004, 5:51 PM   #1

Default A/C adapter a must purchase?

Just bought a Canon S400 and was wondering what people's feelings are about purchasing the AC adapter kit to go with it? Pros and cons from the experienced most appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
JLinnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2004, 6:06 PM   #2

Don't know your particular model but the only reason I'd buy a camera mains adaptor of any sort is to charge batteries fast (and most won't!). Using a card reader instead of the camera is much quicker than the usb link and supplied transfer software which you don't really need.

As far as I can see, the only need for an adaptor is if you were doing say studio type work on a tripod, shooting lots of test pics in a lab or ID pics all day long, perhaps with flash. Then you might risk cooking and breaking the camera.

So I'd save the money on the camera power adaptor and buy a decent fast charger and reader in that order - oh and a second sets of batts. if you haven't already. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 6:19 PM   #3

I concur with Vox. I would spend my money on a battery charger and batteries.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:23 PM   #4

Ditto with Gibson & VOX.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:01 AM   #5

Quote:
if you were doing say studio type work on a tripod
Precisely why I have an adaptor, though I don't own a studio. When shooting still lifes, I could run through batteries in no time flat and end up having to stop shooting before my own creative juices run out.

Quote:
you might risk cooking and breaking the camera
Don't all the cameras include a heat sensor that warns you of overheating? Mine does, but now you've got me worried that, by the time the camera warns me, it might be too late.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:44 AM   #6

Thanks so much for all the info. Much appreciated.

Joe
JLinnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:03 AM   #7

Also, if you're travelling abroad have a think about a suitable overseas mains plug adaptor. My pair of CP4500 batteries lasted about a week in Spain, if that's any indication.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:29 AM   #8

bcoultry......most digicams with the lcd 'on' will be dissipating around 6-7 watts inside the box and higher intermittently with flash. It doesn't sound a lot, but there's usually nowhere for the heat to get out of the small space. If you work with an external display and lcd off, the dissipation drops about half to 3 watts. Worst time for worry is in hot summer temperatures. For your type of work, could you consider setting up the auto shutdown timer as a safeguard?

I only mentioned the point in my post, because whilst I can see manufacturers providing a power unit for intermittent use to facilitate usb link transfers and save batts, I've never thought the design of most compact cams lends them to continuous powering every day. Sooner or later thermal stress might lead to premature failure.

I have a Minolta compact that heats up as the internal batteries dissipate. What I don't like is the hottest part next to the battery compartment, is the where the CF memory slot is. Cheers VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
bcoultry......most digicams with the lcd 'on' will be dissipating around 6-7 watts... For your type of work, could you consider setting up the auto shutdown timer as a safeguard?.... design of most compact cams [doesn't lend] them to continuous powering every day. Sooner or later thermal stress might lead to premature failure.... What I don't like is the hottest part next to the battery compartment, is the where the CF memory slot is.
Now I see what you were talking about. Since I don't use the LCD, and since the batteries aren't used at all when an adaptor is being used, and since this isn't a compact camera (to put it mildly--it's big & weighs a ton), I haven't experienced a single problem with heat. Additionally, I use only a separate flash with its own battery power.

Obviously, heat can be a problem, one I never thought about. By nothing save chance, I use my camera in a way that generates less heat.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:58 PM   #10

One more echo of vox and gibson
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote