Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:14 PM   #1

Default ok i need to know a couple of things.

I am looking for a digital camera that is priced at $300.00. I want the camera to be the best for that price. But I do not know which camera to get. This camera is for a High School Yearbook department. Please help me.
wildhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2004, 6:50 AM   #2

No one here can tell you which brand and model to buy because it would mean presuming to know your needs and style better than you do. It would help if you were to whittle it down by first listing all the cameras you can get for $300, then reduce that list by comparing how successfully each camera can do what you need it to do. To this end, imagine all the uses to which the camera will be put, write down those uses, then compare what you've written with each camera's specs. Once you've reduced the list of possibilities, if you still have questions or there are things you don't understand, you'll be able to ask more specific questions that people here can answer.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:52 PM   #3

i would need somthing that would take get sports shots , has a good memory card at least 16mb, and with at least 3x zoom.
wildhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawk
i would need somthing that would take get sports shots , has a good memory card at least 16mb, and with at least 3x zoom.
This covers most cameras on the market, though your mention of "sports shots" could reduce the choices. For sports, we're talking movement, being able to stop motion. This requires the ability to set the shutter speed to higher or even very high values, depending on the sport. Maybe if you start looking at cameras with a wide range of shutter speeds, you can whittle down your list.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:31 AM   #5

The problem will be with the $300. Sports photography has a combination of aspects that make it more expensive.

bcoultry is right, for sports photography you have to stop action. You didn't say if this was indoors or outdoors, but I'm going to assume both. The problem is that indoor light in gyms and other large rooms is usually not very good. Your eyes can deal with it, but your camera won't think there is enough light. This means you will want the fastest lens (lowest f-stop number) you can get. You'll also want to be able to change the ISO setting. Some of the lower end cameras (like the Canon A series of cameras) don't give you this flexability (I believe.) For some shots a flash might save you, but the flash built in to most cameras can only reach about 10 feet. Not much.

Since sports players are often far away (20-40 feet or more) you'll want a long zoom. "3x" might be good enough (but I doubt it) 4x would be better... heck, the more the better.

The other question is how good the final prints are. I know that my highschool yearbook was an expensive thing (both to make and buy) with glossy prints. That means that quality matters. So you will need a reasonable size image to make the larger print (unless you want to use film for the full-page pictures and the digital for the smaller ones?)

So the final list is:

faster, low f-stop at the longer end of the zoom (f2.8 or lower.)
longer zoom.
Adjustable ISO settings (more manual controls than the lower end cameras.)
3PM... maybe more for 8x11 picture.

To me, that leads to a more expensive camera. My suggestion is to take this info and do some research. See what cameras fit that criteria and then ask a more directed question. You might even be able to borrow one from someone to see what type of results you can get and what works/doesn't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote