Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 14, 2004, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Digital Camcorder PAL or NTSC?

Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong place for posting, could not find a dedicated digital camcorder forum.

My question:
I am living in the UK and emigrating to USA next month. I have a new digital camcorder (jvc gr d20 dv mini camcorder), will I still be able to use this in the usa or will I have to buy another one when I move?

I will mainly want to use this to watch what I record on a usa tv is this possible?

Thanks in advance
fudgey
fudgey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2004, 6:38 PM   #2

You're right, this isn't really the place. Over there they are 525 lines NTSC. and 60Hz mains I think. So whilst you can record and playback from the camera, TV out will be PAL I 625 lines. If you must take it, then you could consider taking one of the new small widescreen lcd TV's now coming out in UK (Samsung?) but you'd still never be able to playback on a 525 line TV. Got a feeling some of these lcd TV's might even be multi standard - so you could at least use that on their networks.

If this is a one way trip, I think I'd sell in UK on Ebay and buy USA standard over there. Try JVC, but modification might be too expensive to consider. Standards conversion of TV out may be possible, but quality will be very poor and not really worth it. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 5:26 AM   #3

The last 2 TVs I've bought in the UK have had the ability to playback an NTSC source through the AV sockets. It's possible but by no means certain that US TVs will be able to playback a PAL source through the AV sockets.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 5:36 AM   #4

Doubt it, this is one of the classic 'standards barriers to trade'. Many Japanese manufactures sell to both markets, which is why many products (particularly 'Grey' UK Imports) will include both. Doubt if USA TV's will be French SECAM though, don't know what they use around Quebec.

You'd be struggling even with an RGB SCART if it was single standard - 'cos that will be 525 lines. Still you'd see a sort of unlocked vague impression of your pics! Look at what's happening with digital, DVB versus ATSC - same old story. Good Luck - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote