Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:10 PM   #11

I have the non IS and I like it better then the sig 105 or the tamron 90, did not tried the tokina. It does focus quicker then the tamron, and have way nicer blur.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:26 PM   #12

I always use an image stabalized lens when photographiny my Father-In-Law.

Thats because he is always drunk!! lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:20 PM   #13

I've never thought IS gives much benefit when shooting wide angle. And even on telephoto, learning good camera-holding technique can pay dividends. I have pictures taken with my 5D (which is full frame) and 100-400L lens at 400mm using just 1/20th second exposure, and they're pretty good. I think IS & equivalent is much over-rated, but then I learned my photography before these things were invented!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:03 PM   #14

Well, FWIW... My hands have quite a bit of natural shake to them. I cannot hold a camera still to save my life! Without the IS on my Canon kit lens, nearly all of my handheld shots would be blurry (I don't usually shoot at higher shutter speeds). If I'm using a tripod, I turn the IS off. But, when I'm holding the camera, it's on. So, for me, the IS is pretty important. If I didn't have it, I'd probably invest in a monopod or smaller tripod.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:19 AM   #15

It's probably worth mentioning that IS/OS/VR etc will NOT help if your subject is moving. Only if YOU are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
I always use an image stabalized lens when photographiny my Father-In-Law. Thats because he is always drunk!! lol
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
It's probably worth mentioning that IS/OS/VR etc will NOT help if your subject is moving. Only if YOU are!
I know. Its just that i sway with him!! lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:00 AM   #17

Image stabilization is a tool. You can use it or not. But if you've got it, you can turn it off; if you don't have it, you can't turn it on. So having it is better than not having it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Image stabilization is a tool. You can use it or not. But if you've got it, you can turn it off; if you don't have it, you can't turn it on. So having it is better than not having it.
This is true as far as it goes. BUT, you can be in worse shape as a photographer if you put your money into the wrong tools. For example, years ago when I bought a canon 70-200 2.8, I bought the non-IS version since the primary use was sports. The money I DIDNT spend on the IS version went to an external flash and battery pack. That allocation of funds yielded much better results for my photography than if I had spent the money on the IS version and not gotten the flash. Similarly, I could have bought into Pentax or Oly camera systems and had "every lens benefit from anti-shake". Of course, I would have given up Canon's much better (and in case of the 1-series, exponentially better) focus system - so my sports photos would have been worse off again. So, the real-world question becomes - how much more is the IS/VR/whatever going to cost you and is it worth spending the money on? Sometimes you don't have a choice. Sometimes you get it for free - kit lenses are all stabilized in nikon / canon. So you don't have to make a decision about it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:57 AM   #19

And of course a stabilised lens has the appropriate machinery inside, whether you use it or not, and some of the elements are designed to move. Added complexity equals more weight and less reliability.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:50 AM   #20

Absolutely. If you're building a house, tweezers won't help much, but if you're fixing watches, you won't have much use for a table saw.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote