Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:41 PM   #31

With a flash, you can stop down to get a deeper DoF, so focus isn't as critical.

But Macro Flashes aren't cheap, and can't be used for anything else.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:10 PM   #32
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
With a flash, you can stop down to get a deeper DoF, so focus isn't as critical.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The only problem with shooting macro is that not all macro lenses allow you to use on-board flash. You often (should, may be required) have an external flash, which brings additional complications/weight/expense etc. That's an entirely different topic!
Actually the on-board flash works best under theses circumstances because the distances are so small! All you need are some light modifier or small cardboard reflector to bounce the light off toward the subject
-> Instead of paying for IS/VR, which is useless in macro IMHO, the $$$ is better spent toward a macro lens with better working distance. For example the minimum distance (1:1) on my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 is around 10-15" which makes its lighting a whole easier (and also not scaring the subject away)...

Just learn with the tool in-hand why spend extra for anything special!

Last edited by NHL; Aug 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:36 PM   #33

Is that 10"-15" from the sensor or the objective lens?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

But Macro Flashes aren't cheap, and can't be used for anything else.
I have seen a number of people use the macro ring flashes in portrait work to eliminate shadows. Generally, though, you are right, as the guide numbers are not very high.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:24 AM   #35
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Is that 10"-15" from the sensor or the objective lens?
Good point

You made me look it up - The lens is 5.4" long so Sigma rated the working distance as 24cm / 9.56in (~15" - 5.4") to the objective:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/150mm...sm-macro-sigma

i.e. plenty of room to work without any dedicated flash!!!

Last edited by NHL; Aug 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:33 AM   #36

Thanks a lot...
That info about flash seems really interesting, I do a have a canon 430 Ex II, do you think thant can come in handy?
I have been reading through the fred miranda macro forum as well. Hopee to be able to learn something and be able to use it
Any suggestions as to where to learn more about flash? I am a total noob, and used to be really afraid of flash for its harshness, but since joining this forum and doing a lit of reading have found there are other ways, just have to learn...
Sorry for the confusing post, have a terrible cold...
Guess I am thanking you all ,and asking where and how to learn about flash and lighting
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:01 PM   #37

The problem with my particular lens is that it is too long at 1:1 - it will block the on-board flash and leave a shadow.

I tend to keep a coffee filter on my flash, whether it is on the hot-shoe or off-camera, its a cheap/free way of softening the light. I know people who have used the bottom of a rubbing alcohol bottle for a home-made diffuser.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:48 AM   #38
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post
Thanks a lot...
That info about flash seems really interesting, I do a have a canon 430 Ex II, do you think thant can come in handy?
Yes - In fact the above image that I posted was taken with a 550EX and it cleared the Sigma 150mm macro just fine. Just pull-out the built-in diffuser and you're all set

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post
Any suggestions as to where to learn more about flash? I am a total noob, and used to be really afraid of flash for its harshness, but since joining this forum and doing a lit of reading have found there are other ways, just have to learn...
-> When shooting in E-TTL the Canon's flash is always on automatic so don't be afraid to experiment. You can even put the camera on manual, i.e. set the aperture and shutter to whatever you need (small aperture for large DOF, and/or higher shutter speed to black out the background) and the flash will automatically fill-in to the correct exposure!

Just try it!