Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 14, 2002, 5:59 AM   #1

Default Question regarding pixels on camcorders

Hi, i have just one simple question. Does the amount on pixels matter when taping video on a digital camcorder? That is if i have a digital camcorder that has 800.000 pixels does it give me better quality than a 540.000 pixel one. I thought that the pixels only mattered when taking pictures on your digicam. If this is true (that you get better quality on a 800.000 pixel camcorder than a lesser one. ) Then i would think that 800.000 pixel video should take up more space on a miniDV tape than a less pixel one would. Is there some sort of limitation of the MiniDv format?

Regards, Berkz
Iceland
Berkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2002, 6:10 AM   #2

Berkz,
V is 640x480 very low, with the sun setting on standard tv and rising on HD will become more important. Also if you are plucking fromes for pics or wat ever. Does cam have component out?
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:17 AM   #3

I'm talking about Mv5i
and Mv 500i

from Canon

I want to know if i'll see quality difference in the video on either machine since the CCD on Mv5i is bigger than on the Mv 500i
Berkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:29 AM   #4

The 640x480 figure is often given for camcorders but that's not always true. They typically record 480 visible scan lines, though IIRC the NTSC standard calls for 525 total scan lines but not all those are visible, but the 640 wide is to make square pixels at the nominal 3:4 ratio. Mini DV records frames 720x480 which squeezes more horizontal resolution into the same frame. The only drawback is the aspect ratio is off kilter when viewing captured frames.

[Edited on 8-14-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:35 AM   #5

was trying to point out veiwing device my restrict the quality of theplayback view. Sorry to waste our time,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote