Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:36 PM   #1

Default Canon t3i question

Hi Guys,

I have a question. I just purchased a Canon T3i.

When I am trying to take a picture of myself from anywhere from 3-10 feet away, how can I get the camera to focus on me as the subject? I set the cam on a tripod and enable auto timer-Since I am the one taking the picture, and dont have anyone to press the shutter half way down for the focus-any tips? Thanks
Krush411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2

You could focus the camera on something where you'll be standing and set the timer and run. Alternatively, you could set the camera to manual focus. Manually focus to where you'll be standing, set the timer and run.

Another option is to get a remote trigger.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
You could focus the camera on something where you'll be standing and set the timer and run. Alternatively, you could set the camera to manual focus. Manually focus to where you'll be standing, set the timer and run.

Another option is to get a remote trigger.
Thanks, I figured those were basically my only options-let me ask you this, is there a way to teak how fast the auto timer does 10 shots? When I set it for 10 shots it takes them so fast in a row, I dont have time to adjust a pose or a subject. My old cam, if I did auto timer, would have a nice delay of about 2-3 seconds before taking each pic.

Thanks again
Krush411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Hi what i would do is set centre focus point turn the rear screen so you can see it set timer to 10 secs this way you can see the camera is focused on you
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:02 PM   #5

It sounds like the remote would be best for what you are doing. You would be able to make any position changes and then trigger the camera on shot at a time.
Another possibility is to purchase an intervalometer that works with your camera.
The may also be software which allows you to use the camera tethered to a computer, which will act as the intervalometer. I have used this with my Pentax for time-lapse.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote