Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:55 AM   #1

Default Macro add on for Fz40

Can someone please advise me regarding a macro add on that I can get for an Fz40

The only glitch here is that I may be getting it from the UAE and they don't have the LA-5 there. So I need something that would fit straight on to my lens

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:53 PM   #2

The Macro AF will work just as well Hassan...you really need a LA5 to make an add-on Macro/Close Up Lens work well...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:11 PM   #3

G'day Hassan

The biggest issue between in-camera macro vs additional close-up lens + its adapter is that in-camera macro needs 1x to 3x zoom for really close stuff .... and as you zoom for a bigger image, the image goes out of focus

When you use a close up lens, that lens controls the focus distance and as it is external to the zoom lens, you still have full use of the zoom to change image size

I use both +2 & +3 dioptre close up lenses ... the +2 has a focus distance of 1/2-metre and the +3 has a focus of 1/3-metre ... camera on tripod and then I zoom anywhere between 1x to 18x [on the FZ35] to get what I'm after

On the FX28 & 35 - although Panasonic say you will need to get the adapter tube for close ups, the actual lens barrel is threaded for 46mm filters & so I use a 46mm diameter close up lens directly onto the lens

So- with your FZ40, have a good look at the lens barrel for the filter thread - and if it looks like the filter thread is there, measure it and order up a close up lens.

For starters I would suggest a +2 dioptre lens

Also - our old friend Depth of Field comes along to haunt us too
For all close up work I use "A"perture mode x [minimum aperture] f8 to maximise DoF as much as I can

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:29 AM   #4

Thanks a mil mates....

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5

I use the DMW-LC55 (+2 diopters) with the LA3 Lens adapter, and a Raynox LCR-150 (~+5 diopters) on top of that with my FZ35. I can get as close as ~ 13 cm at full 18x zoom. This works great for me since I do coin pics, and it allows me to get a close enough image that I can see tiny die marks on coins, but far enough out that I can move in lamps to get enough light on my subject. But as Ozzie says, your depth of field probably isn't much more than a neutron or so at that point, so F8 in A mode (or Manual) is pretty much a neccessity. I also have more luck with manual focus than with Macro AF. And at that magnification level you need either super-steady hands or a tripod/stand of some sort.
ac0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:57 PM   #6

Oops sorry - just saw the OP saying he couldn't get the lens adapters where he is. So the Panasonic or Raynox add ons wouldn't work for him. Sorry about that.
ac0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:37 PM   #7

G'day again Hassan

Another little thing with macro / close up stuff is the occasional readjusting of the tripod to bring the subject into focus
It can be a damn nuisance to move the tripod 2-3cm [one inch] just to get something onto focus

I also use a focusing rail as well ... it goes onto the tripod then the camera goes onto the focusing rail which can move back & forth

here is the link to the mail-order mob I use ... it may be poss for you to use them as well - if you like the idea of a focusing rail

http://www.dinodirect.com/se-fotomate/

Hope this helps as well !
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote