Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:59 PM   #1

Default Canon S45 vs. Canon G3

Hey all,

I've been in the market for a digital camera for a while now, and I've narrowed my searches down to the Canon S45 and the Canon G3. Both are a bit pricey, but the G3 is a little more expensive.

G3 is a bit bulky, but I've disregarded size as a variable in my decision. I'm an amateur, but Point-and-Shoot cameras bore me, and I plan on using the camera for semi-"professional" uses. Would it be worth it to pay the extra $$$ for the G3, or is the S45 the better deal?

Thanks for your time folks.
kj_kim323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:47 PM   #2

Have you looked at the G5? It is the newest of the PowerShot G series. Has the same features of the G3 and more (including megapixels).
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:54 PM   #3

Actually I have, but it is a bit over my price range. Also, I was under the impression that the G3 was still a better deal than the G5.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:58 PM   #4

I also noticed that the S45 has a wider aperature range than the G3. Is this anything major enough to warrant any serious considerations?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:13 PM   #5
Administrator

Major differences:

G3 has a faster lens (able to gather more light). It's aperture is larger (wider) than the S45, not smaller. Larger Aperture = Smaller F-Stop Rating = Faster Shutter Speeds for the same lighting conditions.

Basically, it's lens is twice as bright at wide angle compared to the S45 (F2.0 is twice as bright as F2.8 ), with even more difference when using zoom. One stop isn't a lot with a film camera, but can make a big difference with digital (since the dynamic range of a digital camera is less). This is very helpful for existing light shooting, since it could use a faster shutter speed for the same lighting conditions and ISO speed.

The G3 also has the ability to use add-on lens accessories via an optional adapter (wide angle lens, teleconverter lens, closeup lens, filters).

Finally, it has a hot shoe for adding an external Canon Flash.

So, the G3 would be a better existing light camera (thanks to it's brighter lens). If you wanted to use it for large indoor gatherings, you'd also have the ability to buy and use an external Canon Flash with it.

If you don't need the benefits of the G3 (lens accessories, brighter lens, ability to use external flash), then the S45 would be a good choice.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:11 PM   #6

Are there any major differences between the two besides the lens and external flash? What about the manual features?

On the S45, is there any way at all to put on an aftermarket lens?

Also, who are some good retailers who may carry either of these items?

Danke for your time.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 7:13 PM   #7

The G3 has a bunch of manual settings. It also has a feature that you can save some of your manual settings as presets for faster use. That is a nice feature.

Here is a link that has some G3 Lens's. BHPhotoVideo.com
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:55 PM   #8

there are some differences between the two.

the s45 is probably aimed for a more amatuer-ish user who wants to handle a 4MP camera, where as the G3 would be a little more advanced.

the s45 has a few functions such as fast and slow shutter (on the dial), where as the G3 doesn't, but has 2 custom save settings (C1, C2), where s45 only has one.

G3 has a faster lens, and that at times was quite useful to me - and fastest shutter speed goes to 1/2000 sec. s45 could only go up to 1/1500.

I'd say go with the s45 if you are looking for a compact camera where you can shoot and run, yet still have the ability to be creative.
Go with the G3 if you don't mind carrying a camera bag, and for extra physical features (extra optical zoom, flip out LCD, external hot shoe).
guild is offline   Reply With Quote