Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:28 AM   #1

Default No idea what i'm doing

Where do I start? Our point and shoot died about a month ago. I always wanted one of those fancy DSLR cameras. Logically I decided to purchase a Canon T3i. I bought a book specifically on the camera and have been reading it non-stop. So I know about F/stop, shutter speed, Iso etc. The only lens I have right now is the 18-55mm that came in the kit. Ive been shooting pics non-stop the last couple of days. My question is when I look through the viewfinder at 18mm everything is clear and in focus. As soon as I zoom at all (going towards 55mm) everything becomes out of focus. The lens is on AF not manual. I feel like the lens is an 18mm prime since thats the only focal length I can use. What the heck am I doing wrong?
pitbull-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:14 AM   #2
Administrator

Half press your shutter button and the camera should focus if you have everything set to Autofocus.

It will give you an indication in the viewfinder when focus is locked on your subject. If you don't get a steady focus confirmation light (it will probably blink instead if it can't lock focus), you probably don't have enough light or your subject doesn't have enough contrast.

See page 83 of this User Guide for more information:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/030000...600d-im-en.pdf

Virtually all Autofocus cameras work the same way (this is not unique to the T3i)... You half press the shutter button until a focus lock is achieved. Then, you press the shutter button the rest of the way down to take the photo.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:26 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

If you're using Live View (your LCD for framing) versus the Optical Viewfinder, Autofocus going to be slow and take longer to lock focus after you half press the shutter button (as Live View with most dSLR models uses slower Contrast Detect Autofocus, which is not going to be as fast as you get with most point and shoot cameras). IOW, Live View with most dSLR models is best used for stationary subjects when Autofocus Speed is not important.

But, if you're using the Optical Viewfinder, then focus should be fairly fast with it (sub second AF times if you have good light), since your camera makes use of faster Phase Detect Autofocus when using it's optical viewfinder for framing.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:50 AM   #4

Will try when I get home. Thanks
pitbull-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:38 PM   #5

G'day PL

JimC's thoughts are good ... also > it might be that the Autofocus button has been accidentally pushed onto Manual Focus. It's located on the body / front / left side and is a small slider marked "AF-MF"

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:58 PM   #6

I take it you're not focusing at the 18mm setting and then zooming to 55mm and expecting it to still be in focus...? Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious,but you need to re-focus every time you zoom in or out..
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote