Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:45 AM   #1

Default Help on Connecting to computer??

Hi everyone, i have recently purchased the Sony WX10 camera for our first overseas holiday. We have just arrived home & we are trying to transfer all of the photos we took onto our computer & laptop. When i connect the camera to the computer via the USB cord supplied i get the message on the camera screen saying "USB mode connecting to mass storage" then another screen pops up on the camera saying "USB mode connecting...Check connected device". Then nothing happens???

Im new to this whole thing and i have no idea what to do! We have tried it on both a laptop and a desktop computer and we get the same error message on both computers. I have an older canon camera and the photos transfer fine when i connect that via USB, its only on the new sony camera that it doesnt work.

I have checked the camera settings also and it is set in the USB settings to "mass storage". These photos are so important to us and we are now worrying we wont be able to save them to our computer! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
hello1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:54 AM   #2
Administrator

If you're using Windows, click on your start button and then click on "Computer" (or "My Computer", depending on the Windows version you're using.

Your camera should show up just like any other disk drive there. Then, you should be able to click on the icon for it and see the folders stored on it's memory card, and "drill down" to the folder containing your images. Then, you could select them and use the copy function to copy them, then paste them into another folder. The select process will depend on the operating system you're using (how you get to the Select All menu choices to mark the images you want to copy). But, when using USB Mass Storage, your camera will work just like any other disk drive, where you can see folders on it, select images, copy them, paste them into another folder (for example, one on your hard drive).

You should also be able to select some of the Windows Autoplay functions if you want them to transfer using Windows tools versus copying and pasting them yourself. For example, go to Computer and "right click" on the icon for your camera when it's plugged in. Then, look for an "Open Autoplay" choice where you'll see more functions. If you don't see that option when you right click on the icon for it, click on Properties and see if Open Autoplay is a choice. If so, you should see an option to let a Windows Transfer Wizard copy your photos for you. If you don't see any Autoplay choices, let me know and there is a way to enable it (security updates may have disabled Autoplay with some systems and there is a page where you can click on a button to enable it again).

What software are you using to transfer the images from you Canon?

Did you install the Sony software that came with your camera? if so, it probably has the ability to transfer your images for you, too. But, in some cases, USB Mass Storage won't work with some software (so you may have to set it's USB Transfer Mode to PTP instead). PTP often requires the camera manufacturer's software to be installed. So, there are pros and cons to either transfer mode.

Personally, I stick to USB Mass Storage so that the Operating System treats a device just like any other disk drive, where I can see it under Computer and access the folders on it directly to copy the files to somewhere else on my PC. But, if you're not comfortable working with folders and files that way, you may want to install Sony's software and let it do that kind of thing for you (or, try using the Transfer Wizards under Windows Autoplay instead).

For more specific information, I'd let members know what Operating System you're using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:31 AM   #3

Hi Jim

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately it isnt coming up in the 'Computer' section either. Thats how i connect my canon, just plug it in & it pops up like another drive next to the C & D drive etc. But when i try to connect the new Sony, nothing happens. I was refreshing the 'computer' screen but nothing comes up. The only difference is when i tried to connect it on the desktop computer, a yellow error message pops up in the bottom right corner saying the USB device is not recognized or something? The same error message is still displayed on the camera though. However on the laptop nothing at all happens on the laptop screen, just the error message on the camera.

Im comfortable and know how to use the copy/paste when it comes up like a new drive & go through the folders etc, but nothing at all is happening. Could it be a problem with the USB cord itself? It is brand new but the cord is part of the camera charger and the only time it has been used before is to charge the camera 3 or 4 times on our holiday.

I am using Windows Vista Business Version 6 Service Pack 2 if that helps.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:37 AM   #4

hi and welcome. It should see the device I would try another cable and look at your device manager you may need some drivers
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:44 AM   #5
Administrator

Usually cameras don't require drivers if they're set to USB Mass Storage. But, your USB drivers may have an issue. So, I'd follow the steps on this page to remove it and see if Windows installs the correct driver needed for it:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...ue&mdl=DSCWX10
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:08 PM   #6

As an additional issue: make sure you have your camera connected to a good power supply while doing the download. That is the reason to copy then format the camera's memory instead of moving the files.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:00 PM   #7

G'day 1234

If all else fails, pop into Dick Smith or Big-W etc and buy a small card reader device for about $25. These devices have 4-5 slots for various sizes of cards, so then the computer only needs one device driver [ie- the std windows USB driver] but you can stick in as many camera cards as you like and the computer never knows from whence it came

Hope this helps ... ps- where in Oz are you based??
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:33 AM   #8

Hi again, i finally got the problem sorted. After trying everything possible on the computers at home it still wouldnt work. So i took it into a camera shop & they tested it on their computer and it still didnt work. They tried it with a new USB cable & it worked perfectly, so it looks like the USB cable is faulty!!! We have only had the camera 1 or 2 months and the USB cable is part of the actual charger. Do you know if this is common?? I was having problems charging the camera on our holiday as well so its all making sense now.

I will take the camera and cable back to where i bought it and hopfully they will be able to replace the faulty cable. A bit disappointing from Sony having such a main part not work.

I was able to transfer all of the photos and videos onto the computer using a card reader which worked perfectly, thanks so much for the suggestions for that! Allthough the videos dont work properly! So that is the next problem lol. They are .MTS files and when i play them in VLC player some of the videos are either sound only with no picture or some of them the picture comes up but it is all jumpy. Is that a problem with the player i am playing it in? I know the camera takes HD videos but the laptop isnt HD but i was told it should convert the videos to play in standard quality. I have also tried to play the videos in Windows media player. Any advice on this issue? Or should i start a new topic for this?

Thanks once again
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:23 PM   #9
Administrator

Chances are, your computer isn't powerful enough to play them. HD Video can be very demanding on a PC.

Make sure you're using the latest version of VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Have you tried Sony's software. PMB should have been included with your camera and it should be able to play them, unless your hardware just isn't fast enough.

If it isn't fast enough, then you may need to convert them to a lower quality format.

Handbrake can do that kind of thing. I just tried it from Linux on a Sony .mt2s file and converted a 1080p video at 29.97fps to a 720p (1280x720) at 23.967fps, outputting to a .mp4 file. I'd probably give it a spin and see if it works for you (they also offer it for Windows). Basically, after you open a source, you can go to the Video Tab and make changes for quality desired. For example, try lowering the frame rate to 23.967

Then, click on the Picture Options icon at the top (second from right) and set Anamorphic to off, uncheck for "Optimal for Source" and pick a different output resolution.

Then, click the icon to add it to the queue, and when you use the right arrow icon at the top, it will convert it for you, saving to the output file name selected.

Another way to approach it would be to just use one of the Apple Presets you'll see on the right side of the page (iPad, iPhone, etc.), as those will automatically set the resolution to something smaller for you.

You may have to play with it a bit to find what works better on your PC (lowering resolution, quality and frame rate until you find what your hardware can comfortably play). High Quality AVCHD video at 1080p takes a relatively fast CPU (and/or graphics chipset capable of decoding HD video with software that uses the GPU) to handle it without the symptoms you're seeing.

Here's a quick start guide for Windows:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

Get Handbrake here (it's free):

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:13 AM   #10

Default Pournelle's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello1234 View Post
... They tried it with a new USB cable & it worked perfectly ...
Quote:
Pournelle's Law [circa 1982]: Cables do matter. When something doesn't work, always check the cables and their connectors first.
Used to love Jerry's column in Byte!

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote