Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 21, 2004, 8:43 PM   #1

Default Cameras with big zoom.

Hi guys! I'm thinking in buying a new digicam, I have tried many cameras like de canon A60, oly C-4000, oly D-380, canon S-400 and others, but I have always the same problem I need a bigger optical zoom than this cameras have.

I'm seeing cameras with great zoom, obviously I want a SLR camera but they are very expensive for me, the cameras that I like are the oly C-750 and panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10, I don't know really if there is a difference between 10x and 12x, but I think that more is better. I liked about the lumix, its image stabilizer, but I tried it with and without stabilizer and I didn't see a big difference between the images. I like the lumix lenses, the leica lenses are impresive, and posibility of manual focus using the lenses, I hate about it that is very big, heavy and that uses a propietary battery, I'm worried about that panasonic never make this battery again.

The olympus are great is small, uses AA batteries, normaly the olympus' cameras have a impresive image quality, the lenses are great (not like the leica), and is cheaper than the lumix.

My questions are

Do you think that I'm losing something buying the oly instead of the lumix?
Is there a big diference between 10x and 12x zoom?

I will apreciate your advice and suggestions.
robalrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:10 PM   #2

Hello!
I own a Olympus C-750 and the camera is pretty awsome, specially when it comes to "quality/money" subject.
The 10x zoom makes some miracles and as a matter of fact its kinda handy when you want to be as far as you can and shoot as close as you may.
Specially for animals, I think it's great. I own 2 dogs and a cat and I love to take photos of them, and I think this machine does the job. Of course, when you're shooting at 10x zoom the shoot must be calm, because anything makes the picture look fuzzy. But is not a major problem, you get a hand after a few days.
Another feature is the supermacro that focous at 3cm (min) which is pretty cool.
If you want to look at some C-750 picts, just click above to see them:
http://deiota.instantlogic.com (my photos hosting page)
http://digicla.fol.nl
http://waynebrunet.fotopic.net/
http://taxus.instantlogic.com
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/c750uz

I hope this helps!
Love,
Andrea

PS- If you have ay doubt, please contact me to [email protected] or add me to MSN messenger with this .Net Passport.
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 4:28 AM   #3

Do you think that I'm losing something buying the oly instead of the lumix?

Based on your description of the Lumix, yes, but only you can decide if that something is worth the difference.

Is there a big diference between 10x and 12x zoom?

Difference? Yes. Big difference? No. --The new Oly C-755 has a "superzoom" function that goes to x14, but based on some very rudimentary tests it's nothing to shout about. The 10x zoom is better alone. You can also buy a lens extender that will extend the Oly's zoom ability (though reduce its brightness a bit, as with all attachment lenses).
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:23 AM   #4

Go to the Panasonic and Olympus forums and look at the critiques of the camera users. Both cameras are very good cameras and both have weakness. Reading the forums will highlight the weaknesses as seen by owners. Then go to a camera store and handle each camera. One of the cameras will feel better to you. I would also wait until after Feb because vendors will announce many new cameras at the PMA.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

I canít argue the FZ10 isnít bulkier, but there is a BIG difference between stabilized and non-stabilized long telephoto shots under most lighting conditions. Except for shooting things directly in bright sunlight you need a tripod to get sharp pictures at 10X zoom. Add to stabilization that the C750 is f8 at 10X where the FZ10 is f2.8 at 12X Ė or any other focal length. So the FZ10 is much faster at telephoto focal lengths even without the stabilization. A 750 plus a decent tripod is a lot bulkier than a FZ10.

The stabilization is also handy for available light shots without telephoto. Some people can shoot as low as 1/4 second handheld with it. My personal best has been a couple of good shots at 1/6 seconds and I had to take several since some of them came out blurred. But that gives capability you just canít get without a tripod or stabilization.

The FZ10 will fill a 256Mb card with about 150 images using the included battery if you use the EVF and leave the LCD off. People on the Panasonic forum have had good luck with Eagle replacement batteries for $20 if you want more shots than that. I donít find that a big drawback. And with 4 NiMH batteries installed the 750 is almost as heavy as the FZ10, although it is much smaller.

I do like the Oly remote, but I find it is useful primarily for tripod shots. It would be an advantage for night shooting where either camera would be on a tripod, but the FZ10 has a nice 2 second delay option for that.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:38 AM   #6

Default I read some frightful about the oly-750

I've read all the reviews about the oly and the panasonic, so I'm reading now the questions in the differents forums.

I read something frightful about the oly, this thing is that a lot of oly C-750 have the problem of hot-pixel in the LCD as well as in the CCDs.

Since I must buy the camera by internet, I was thinking buy it in digitalphotoclub.com, I worried because the likelihood that I buy a camera with hot pixels is high. Also I read the olympus doesn't see this issue as a defect, so they doesn't receive the bad cameras.

Also I read that the panasonic has a lot of noise in low light conditions.

I will begin to read about the Kodak DX6490.

Could anybody tell me something about this issues.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:00 AM   #7

Default Kodak DX6490.

Please forget the las line about the Kodak DX6490, I read enough about it, it doesn't have manual focus, I love it, so I wouldn't buy a camera without manual focus. Please tell me something about the hot pixels in the oly, I wrote about it in the previous reply.

I read about the Eagle's batteries (thanks Slipe), so I'm happier about the panasonic than yesterday. But also I've read that the oly image quality is better than the panasonic.

Please help me, your suggestions are very important for me I have only a week for buy it, because I will go to USA the next week.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:49 AM   #8

I donít think you are quite getting the relationship between noise and image stabilization (IS). Also between noise and the better f stop using telephoto.

The IS conservatively gives you 2 more f stops in limited light for handheld shots. So if you can shoot at ISO 50 with the FZ10 for a wide angle shot you would have to use ISO 200 on the Oly for the same shot. I can guarantee you will have less noise at ISO 50 on the FZ10 than you will at ISO 200 on the 750. The noise on the FZ10 is very good at ISO 50 and quite acceptable at ISO 100.

For a telephoto shot the f2.8 on the FZ10 gives you a couple more f stops compared to the f8 on the Oly. So for the same lighting you would shoot at ISO 50 on the FZ10 you would need ISO 800 on the Oly if it would go that far. For hand held shots in marginal light you are going to get less noise with the stabilization and fast lens on the FZ10. You are also going to need a tripod in a lot of situations with the Oly where you could hand hold the FZ10. The FZ10 is bulkier but not nearly as bulky or inconvenient as carrying a tripod.

The Oly has pixel mapping to eliminate hot pixels. There are several variants of bad pixels and pixel mapping only eliminates true hot pixels. Iím not familiar with the problems with that particular CCD you mention but you might check also on the Olympus forum at www.dpreview.com to get information about bad pixels not eliminated by the pixel mapping and how many people are getting them.

A hot pixel in the CCD wouldnít bother me that much. The little LCD on the Oly isnít very good for showing off your pictures anyway. With an EVF camera you donít tend to refer to it that much except to show off your images since you can get the same info on the EVF. The FZ10 has a much nicer 2 inch LCD, which makes it a little more practical for settings and showing your pictures.

I downloaded several of Steveís photos of the same subject with the FZ10 and 750 and blew up small sections. I donít see much quality difference. This is what the review at Digital Camera Resource had to say about the FZ10 quality: ĒOverall, I was very happy with the quality of the FZ10's photos. They're colorful, sharp, and generally well-exposed. Noise levels may be a tiny bit above average, but that did not bother me. Nor did the purple fringing, which is "par for the course" on ultra zooms. I did notice some "jaggies" on edges in the photos I took, which could be attributed to either JPEG compression or the in-camera sharpening system (I vote for the latter). All of those are minor quibbles, though -- I rank the FZ10's photo quality at the top of the class, along with the two Olympus models.Ē The guy tests a lot of cameras and evidently didnít see a lot of quality difference between the FZ10 and Oly. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

For either camera you should get yourself a flash unit. You donít have to go overboard and can pick up a nice non-dedicated flash for about $40 or less. I just ordered a Vivitar 285HV Pro flash for $73.50 but you donít need that much power or weight. I take a lot of shots at meetings and conferences where I need the extra range. I wanted the variable power and built in zoom features also. I also wanted the included 28mm wide adapter for use on my Minolta. Someone on the Panasonic board said he picked up a flash for $10 Ė you might ask him how it is working out. The built in flash on the FZ10 is pitiful and you have to remove the lens hood to use it.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:57 PM   #9

I am pretty sure the 750UZ doesn't have this feature. But since you said manual focus is an important aspect, then the FZ10 would be even better, because it bloats up the center of the LCD so you can see what you are focusing on clearly (the final image looks normal of course). Although the focus ring is a little oversensitive, but I am sure you can get used to it.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:12 PM   #10

Hi!

Slipe your right I have not thought about the size of the aperture, f2.8, in the case of the panasonic, you are are right I should consider it, also I know that the digicams have a lot of noise with hight iso values, so I was thinking in buying a tripod a use a ISO 50, but you are right a tripod is very bulky. I read the dcresource.com review for the oly as well as the panasonic, but Jeff don't say anytihing about hot pixels, but he used a prototype for the review, later he used a production camera for taking the pictures. Also I think that the panasonic should be an excelent camera because Leica has put his name in this camera, and the optical Leica's equipment is the best in the market, but olympus have an excelent image quality and isn't so bulky like the panasonic.

Blinbue, I like that characteristic in the panasonic, the olympus also has it, althought doesn't have a lcd as big as the panasonic.

I'm reading yet please write about the bugs that these cameras have, also if you have experimented the hot pixels bug in the oly.