currently Best BuyStore has the S50 for 399
and the pentax for 599 USD
though both can get cheaper online
your advise appreciate
thanks
guevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2

My first advice would be to buy it online if you get the Pentax. The best price I see for the Pentax is $431 + $13 shipping with no tax. There is a $50 rebate going on the 555 until the end of the month. Total price $394. http://www.digitaletailer.com/shop/p...&sku=OPTIO-555 Best online price delivered for a S50 is $367, which isnít that much better than Best Buy.

The Pentax is smaller, lighter and has a 5X zoom. SD cards have come down in price so they arenít that much more than the CF on the Canon. The Pentax will fill a 256Mb card with the included battery, so I donít see a great advantage in having the bulkier AAs. Now that they have improved the efficiency of both the batteries and cameras I see no need for bulking up a small camera with AA batteries.

Here are some comparison shots with the Pentax 550 and S50. The 550 uses the same lens as the 555. The 555 has lower noise and a lot of little tweaks over the 550. Both cameras have all the bells and whistles as far as modes. The Pentax has a neat interval or time lapse mode and functions as a voice recorder with unlimited time. I would go for the 555, and if I didnít already have a pocket camera I would buy one myself.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:20 PM   #3

the s50 uses an l-ion batt, not AA's...
i have played with both cameras quite a bit, and i only have one bad thing to say between the two of them. the 550/555 doesnt have a lot to hold onto (no ridges, grips on the right side fo the cam), so if you do a lot fo shooting in cold conditions, or with gloves ect, holding onto it might be an issue. aside from that, i highly recommend either cam.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf065
the s50 uses an l-ion batt, not AA's...
You're right. Wonder why it is so heavy?
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:43 PM   #5

i am not really sure why the cam is so heavy, it does feel like quite a brick when you pick it up. my sister recently got one, and after playing with it out of a store environment, i still couldnt choose between the two. both are great cams!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote