Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:28 PM   #1

Default Add-on lens help for FZ-10

In a burst of enthusiasm, I purchased a UV filter, a circular polarizing filter, and a teleconverter for my FZ-10 (all of which are threaded to work together). My intention is to shoot birds, often on or around water, and occasionally skyward/sunward. Is it overkill to use both the UV filter and the CP filter along with the teleconverter? Should I routinely leave one or the other (or both) on the camera? It is rarely, if ever, used for other purposes. Thanks!
ISProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 3:27 PM   #2

Keep in mind that your polarizer is also a 3X neutral density filter. So you are letting in only a third the light as you would without it. Use the polarizer only when you have blue sky in the photo or want to eliminate reflections. If you donít have bright sunlight you will likely need a tripod when using the polarizer and long telephoto because of the light reduction. The stabilizer is excellent but does have its limitations. That is especially true if you are shooting from a boat as the stabilizer canít compensate for boat motion. I seldom use the polarizer for my Minolta and probably wonít buy one for the FZ10. I find I can get the sky-cloud contrast and deep blue sky the polarizer gives easily in Photoshop without having to schlep an extra lens around and reduce my shutter speed. And I donít have that much occasion to eliminate reflections. Water can look nicer with the reflections removed though and that canít be duplicated in Photoshop.

If you bought a good quality name brand UV filter with good coating and optical qualities I see no reason to not always use it to protect whatever lens is on the camera. It is a lot cheaper to replace than a good teleconverter and it is nice to not always have to attach and keep track of the lens cover on the camera. I donít even know where the lens cover is for my Minolta and will probably get a good UV filter for the FZ10. The polarizer has good UV characteristics so there is no reason to use the UV with the polarizer unless you want to protect it.

It was my understanding that the Panasonic teleconverter was not available yet except in Japan. Iím curious what you bought and how it performs. If you have an online site where you can post full sized images I would appreciate a link to a long shot with the teleconverter.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 4:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and test everything out this weekend and see what works best and I'll post the results. I have Hoya filters and a Sony teleconverter - I'm too impatient to wait for Panasonic to market the accessories.

Now another dumb question. My filters, lenses, etc. attract dust - it's so dry right now. My lens cloth seems to just push it around, and I'm scared of being anything but very gentle. How does one eliminate dust from optical surfaces?
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:28 PM   #4

3M makes a super soft cloth I use for the purpose but I canít remember what it is called as I discarded the packaging. It is supposed to have electrostatic properties Ė it picks up the dust nicely.

I use Viva towels and distilled water for anything that needs removing besides dust. Maybe not the best but Iíve never had a problem. I accidentally put a Viva through the washer once and liked the way it came out, so I throw a couple in the washer from time to time for when I need a soft towel that doesnít leave lint. I got some Viva towels recently that were almost as bad as Bounty, but the latest batch is back to the good towels so Iím hoping it was an experiment that failed.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 4:57 PM   #5

I had some time today to get a few shots and I've posted them on a webpage at

http://www.business.auburn.edu/~halldia/SonyTest.htm

This site is case sensitive. The page loads slowly - I put one of the pictures on the page itself, the others open through links, but the pictures are large (all near or just over 1 mb). These are fine, high resolution photos directly from the camera.

I'm pretty impressed - hopefully over the weekend I'll have a better feel for all of this.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:00 AM   #6

Nice shots but the CA and noise are really apparent. What ISO were you using?

The site loaded very quickly for me.