Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:26 AM   #1

Default Canon SX40 HS digital camera

Hi! Steve,

I'm about to buy a new Canon Sx40 HS digital camera & I have read your forum on some qwestions & answers from owners of this camera.Before I buy this camera, there are some qwestions that I'd like to ask you since you have reviewed this camera. I read in your forum about how to make a macro photo sharp & vivid in the SX40 . you mentioned about installing a Raynox dcr 250 macro lens. Do I have to buy also a lensmate SX filter holder to hold this Raynox dcr 250 macro lens in place on the camera? And if I have to install this lens do I have to take out the original lens that went with the camera? In other words I cannot put this lens over the original lens? Also, Do you recommend a Hoya S-HMC UV 58mm filter to keep glare & reflection from getting back into the SX40 camera? And the Hoya linear Polarizer 58 mm to reduce unwanted reflections?
Since you have already reviewed this camera, can you pls. tell me how to get a sharp ,good photo when the background is very sunny bright & the subject is on a Shaded area, the subject tends to be very dark in the picture. How can this be corrected in the Canon Sx40, what camera settings corrects it & is there a filter that can correct this?
On the Raynox dcr 250 macro lens, how far is the distance of the camera from the subject to get a sharp, vivid photo? Can I also use this lens to capture a photo from a distance?
I really appreciate it very much for answering all my qwestions.I'll wait for your reply before I buy the Canon Sx40 camera.
Thanks again!!!

Lina
lfpalisoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:29 PM   #2

Hi Lina,
I noticed no one has replied to your post yet, so I thought I would, even though I havenít had my camera for very long, and am still finding out things about it all the time. When first reading your post, I was about to get the SX40 HS I had just bought, and have played around with the settings and options on it, and also learned things from forums and other places online. Itís a really fun camera, in my opinion, and given the options this camera has, it is very versatile to say the least.

I hope youíre still here, even though this seems to be the only post youíve made so far.

Now, to your questionsÖ

The Raynox dcr-250 macro lens does not appear to need any adapter, in order to use it with this camera. You can read about it here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonsx40hs/discuss/72157628308303151/

You donít have to remove the original lens, but just put it in front of it. By the way, the original lens is not able to remove at all.

About the Hoya Polarizer filter 58 mm, read this thread. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1130579
Especially post #4 gives a really good answer to your question. Notice that he also states that itís best to get the FA-DC67A adapter, which takes 67 mm filters and not 58 mm, even if this works as well. This is because that with 58 mm there will be some vignetting at the wide end. Hoya is a good brand so if you still decide to stick with that size, I would think it is a good choice. Again, I havenít tried it myself so I have no personal experience of it.

As for taking sharp photos of shaded object with bright backgrounds, there is a setting which helps to make the object clearer, but I donít remember what itís called now. I know I read about it in a review some time back where they also made a comparison between having this setting on, and when not. Quite a difference. I donít think a filter is needed to correct this.

The Raynox dcr 250 macro is just that, a macro, and you will not be able to use it on distant objects. It works best with zoom and has vignetting if you use it at wide angle. The distance in order to get good pictures is 10 cm Ė 15 cm according to http://www.shewsbury.com/2010/09/amateur-guide-for-raynox-dcr-250-macro.html

Hope this helps you. Do ask if there is anything else you wonder about and let me know whether or not you decide to get this camera. I donít think youíll regret your choice if you get it. Good luck!

/T.J
T.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:56 PM   #3

G'day Lina

Firstly - welcome to Steve's photo forum ... there are plenty of keep photographers here who will be able to answer your Qs for you

I have just seen your posting, so here's my response for 'some' of your Qs ... others will add more bits I'm sure

The Raynox 250 macro lens is one of many macro / close-up lenses on the marketplace [tho it is also of better quality than some > see its price comparied with others]. When it is attached to a camera, it forces the camera's main lens to refocus to 250mm [ie- the 250 in its name]

The beauty of attaching this lens to a zoom lens camera, is that with the camera at 250mm from a subject, you can still zoom to change the size of the image

However, to magnify things a long way from the camera, you will need to use the camera's 20x zoom lens as best you can. After this, if you need more image size [ie- off to africa to shoot wild animals] you will need the "LT55" lens that others here talk about from time to time [see postings from catalex]

For info on the canon SX40 ... Simon is our resident expert > Simon where are you??

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Do you recommend a Hoya S-HMC UV 58mm filter to keep glare & reflection from getting back into the SX40 camera? And the Hoya linear Polarizer 58 mm to reduce unwanted reflections?
A UV filter will only serve to only protect the front of the lens from getting scratched and nothing more. It is optional and may cause more problems than it solves. I would also wait to get a polarizer until you are more knowledgeable about photography.

Quote:
Since you have already reviewed this camera, can you pls. tell me how to get a sharp ,good photo when the background is very sunny bright & the subject is on a Shaded area, the subject tends to be very dark in the picture. How can this be corrected in the Canon Sx40, what camera settings corrects it & is there a filter that can correct this?
This condition is normal for any digital camera and is caused by technical limitations of the sensor. There is no setting or filter to correct this however if the subject is close enough to the camera you may be able to force the flash to fire and fill in the shadow while exposing for the bright scene. This is called fill flash.

Last edited by Bob Nichol; Apr 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:05 AM   #5

Default very nice keep it up

I was looking to find posts on this particular topic and your post came up first on Google search and finely i have found your post that is even slightly related to what I need Nice post. i have very impressed to see this post. i have benefited from the information you have given. nice work keep it up.