Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:10 PM   #1

Default Problems with my batteries

Okay, for some reason everytime I charge my batteries all the way and then put them in my camera, I can only take 1 or 2 pictures before suddenly my camera tells me that half of the battery life is gone already. Why is this? Now, whenever I have taken pictures, I immediately upload them to my computer but I do not use an adapter. Could this have something to do with it? Usually I recharge my batteries as soon as I am finished uploading the pictures to my camera, but as I said, once I put them back in and take a picture or two, the batteries start going low again.

Can you tell me why this may be happening?
maggithemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2004, 9:06 PM   #2

Hi Maggiethemagpie

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please share a bit more info?

Your camera?

Battery brand, type and capacity?

Thanks
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 9:19 PM   #3

Default my camera...

I have a Vivitar Digital Camera that is 3.3 Mega Pixels. The batteries I have are Kodak 2100mah and my recharger is an MH-C204F

I am totally new to this digital camera stuff so I'm not sure if I messed up my batteries by not using an AC Adapter or if I just got bad batteries or what.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:17 PM   #4

Just wondering, does the camera ever turn off due to low/drained batterys, or does it only say that it is low?
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:20 PM   #5

There is no problem with downloading the photos without using an AC adapter Ė few people have them. It didnít harm your batteries. I use that same charger and it is excellent. I use PowerX 1800 mAH batteries which were the largest available at the time I bought them. They have gone through hundreds of charges with no problem.

I conditioned them after the first charge and condition them about every 25 charges. Donít do it more than that for NiMH batteries. When you condition them you just completely discharge them and then recharge them.

When you put the batteries in the charger they should light the charging light. If you charge only two they have to be side by side Ė it wonít charge if the batteries arenít in pairs. If you want to check that they are charging push the conditioning button for both sets. They will discharge and then get quite warm when they charge.

If the batteries are getting warm and the green light comes on to indicate they are charged I would suspect your camera power indication. If you can fill your memory without running out of battery I would just ignore the half used indication. It is possible (but not likely) that the camera is designed for alkaline batteries which have a higher voltage. Maybe the lower voltage of the NiMH is triggering the half used indication. There is no problem using the NiMH batteries and as long as the camera fills the card you are doing fine.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:24 PM   #6

Default ...

This might sound dumb, but what do you mean by, "if the camera fills the card?" Do you mean memory card because right now I am not using one of those.

What do you suggest are the best rechargeable batteries to buy right now?

Thanks guys,
Maggi
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:12 AM   #7

If you are using Kodak 2100 mAH NiMH batteries they will do just fine. They will probably outlast the camera.

Most people buy larger memory cards for their cameras. By filling the card I meant that if the batteries are filling your cameraís memory with pictures and still have enough poop to download the pictures you donít have a problem. The half used indication is probably wrong. I would just enjoy it and ignore the indication unless the camera is actually running out of power before you fill the memory with pictures.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote