Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:26 AM   #1

Default Problem with CDR-Help Needed Please.

A friend of mine is having trouble with his CDR:

I wonder if you can help with a problem I am having, I am using 650 mb cdr's to store data and images on and although I have only used 81mb on the current disc, when I try to copy more info to the disc it tells me that the disc is full. Have you any ideas why it says this?, it has got me baffled.

When I check the disc properties it just says: total disc size 81mb used space 81mb.

Regards, John.
digitaldodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:38 AM   #2

You have to set up for multisession. It varies how you do that according to the software, but you have to set it for that with the first session because it has to write the lead in for the next session in the first session.

Most newer software defaults to multisession. The built in software in XP automatically records multisession. With older versions of Nero you had to select multisession and with EZCD you had to set up to close the session but not the disk. Look up multisession or multi-session in the help of whatever software you are using.

Each session eats about 15Mb of housekeeping stuff, so donít record the sessions too small or most of the CD will be lead ins and lead outs. Your current CD is likely useless for further sessions if you didnít start as multisession. It is a normal indication for properties to say 81Mb used and 81mb total since it canít read the empty part of the CDR.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:25 AM   #3

Although multi-session saves some disc space, discs are very cheap and single session is more compatible in older players and PC's without XP multi session readers.

You might think about collecting your images on a reserved partition of your hard drive, then when you get a couple of hundred MB of pics or more - burn a CD 'Disc at once'. At least you know that's one burn and nothing untoward is ever likely to happen to previous data, and will work in most players and PC OS's. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:59 AM   #4

john

what software are you using for burning? What is your OS?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

Iíve been CD burning since a 2X burner was eye watering state or the art speed and my CD-ROM drive was 6X. I have never had a problem with a multi-session CD reading on Win 95/98/SE/XP.

Some very old CD-ROMs (like 4X) were not ďmultireadĒ which meant they wouldnít read anything written to RW, but even those would read a multi-session CDR.

I usually record images the way Vox recommends just because it is easier to get organized. I see no reason to put images on a CD in bits and pieces except temporarily to RW as backup until you get them archived. But I always record data multi-session unless I am copying a program CD.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:21 AM   #6

Default Thanks for your help

Thanks everyone for your help, I will pass your replies on to my friend, Regards, John.
digitaldodo is offline   Reply With Quote