Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:10 AM   #11
Administrator

P.S.

If batteries are the issue (make sure you have a fully charged set of high capacity NiMH batteries and see if it works) it looks like users say the Eneloops (a special kind of hybrid rechargeable battery) work fine in a 7Hi from what I can see digging through posts. So, for $25.24 with free shipping (since you'd get free shipping if the order is over $25 with these items), you could get a 2GB CompactFlash card, with 4 Batteries and Charger for it:

4 AA Eneloops with charger for $15.49:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-...p_ob_e_title_1

2GB Transcend CompactFlash card for $9.75
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-133x.../dp/B000VY2BC0
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:15 AM   #12

Hello,

I bought a set of 4 Energizer ACCU rechargeable4AA 2300 mAh batteries, plus the Energizer NiMh battery charger, which takes just over an hour to recharge, they are warm when charged!

The card that was in the camera box is as I said the Nikon 8 MB, in view of what you said is this a possibly danger too? -being too large in capacity.

It could be that the card was just in the box with the camera, and not meant to be used with this camera I suppose.

Is it possible that the card ' connection ' contacts are damaged now?

When I remove the card the red light goes out.

Further, is a camera this old still 'usable' or do they become unstable, and develop problems.

Thank you for your patience.

Margaret
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:32 AM   #13
Administrator

Where are you seeing a red warning light?

It probably has a red busy light somewhere when it's writing to the card. But, if the card is defective or you have another issue, it could be caused by something else. Is that the only card you have that's 2GB or smaller to try in it?

Check the camera's card slot (use a flashlight) to see if any of the pins are bent. You have to be careful with older cards and make sure they're inserted carefully or you can damage the pins if a card has too much wear in the grooved slots on each site of one (allowing too much "play" while inserting one, which can potentially bend pins in the camera).

Do you see anything on the screen and are the menus working?

Have you tried formatting the card using the camera's menu choice for format (if the menus are available)? With the mode dial on play, you'll find a Format Choice in the menus, as shown on this page of our 7Hi review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-5.html
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:51 AM   #14
Administrator

P.S.

Here's the screen you'll find to Format your memory card (with the mode dial set to playback), as described on this review page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-5.html

I'd also Reset the camera back to factory defaults to fix any settings related issues that you may have with it. You'll find a Reset Default menu choice on the Adv. 2 Tab of the Setup Menus, as described on that same review page. It's the top choice on this screen in your camera:

If no pins in the card slot are bent, and Resetting it back to Factory Defaults doesn't fix it, and that memory card doesn't work after formatting it (if you can format it), I'd try a known good card that's 2GB or smaller before jumping to any conclusions (as the card may be defective), making sure to format it using the camera's menu choice for format before using it.

I've seen that behavior before with a defective card in one of my cameras (camera locks up with red busy light).
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:29 AM   #15
Administrator

One other thing... That 8MB card is not large enough to hold even one Super Fine JPEG image if the camera is set to that mode. You'll see file sizes in the specs for it on this page of it's review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...hi-review.html

That's one reason I'd reset it back to Factory Defaults (in case a settings issue is causing your problem). Then see if you can format the card and if it can take any photos using one of the other JPEG quality settings (standard or fine). If so, then just buy a larger card for it (a 2GB card is only $9.75 at amazon.com, as linked to in my previous posts).

A 16MB or 32MB card was normally included with the camera (those would hold at least 1 image in the highest quality modes). But, they were just "starter" cards, and you'd want something larger to hold many images at higher quality settings (something other than JPEG Standard).
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:46 AM   #16

Hi Jim.

The red light is on the side of the card slot, I have not seen that on before.

I havent tried the rest of your advice, becuse 8MB is the smallest card I have.

I have looked inside the card case - with a flashlight,. and it looks as though there is a small black 'hair' sticking out - I presume could be one of the pins?
I havnt looked in there before.

Is that fatal for the camera?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Administrator

It's probably nothing, as long as you don't see any signs of a bent pin (and bent pins are not very common, and usually only occur if the card is badly worn where it's not following the "grooves" in the side of the card when inserting one, although you do need to be careful inserting cards to make sure you don't damage something).

You may want to look at your cards to make sure a pin didn't break off inside of one of the card pin sockets causing what you see. But, that kind of thing would be very rare (and it's normal to see a couple of places in the camera's card slot that don't have any pins, since not all pin locations are used).

A red light is normally a "busy" light (meaning the camera is attempting to access or write to a card).

That can mean a defective card, or it can occur for other reasons.

Try resetting the camera to Factory Defaults, then insert the card and see if you can format it using the camera's menu choice for format.

The most common problem with an older 7Hi is that it is "picky" about battery voltage, so if batteries are "borderline" you'll have issues (so, you may want to charge the batteries again, especially if they're brand new, as sometimes more than one charge is needed to bring new batteries up to full capacity).

Resetting the camera back to factory defaults is also a good idea.

Then, format the card (using the camera's menu choice for format) if you can get to the menus after a reset and inserting the card.

And again, that card won't even hold one Super Fine image, and I don't know of anyone that's tried a card that small in one before (although it should be able to hold a JPEG Standard file OK, provided your camera is set to JPEG Standard). So, I'd try a known good card in it (something larger than 8MB, making sure it's not larger than 2GB) before jumping to any conclusions, making sure to format a card using the camera's menu choice for format before trying to use it (and if it's a card that's been used in a different device, it may not be formatted with the correct file system causing an issue, as I've seen cameras fail to recognize cards that have been previously formatted using a FAT32 file system, which isn't supported by that camera model)

IOW, these steps:

1. Known good batteries, making sure they're fully charged high capacity (2000mAH or higher preferred) NiMH batteries
2. Reset the camera to Factory Defaults (as shown in the Adv. 2 Setup Tab in my previous post)
3. Known good card that's 2GB or smaller (but, at least 16MB will be needed to store just one Super Fine JPEG Image or RAW file), making sure to format it using the camera's menu choice for Format
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:29 PM   #18

Great, I shall wait until I can get a card this week, and if I may--- get back to you when I have tried all your recommendations.

Thanks again

Maragert in Cheshire, UK
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:15 PM   #19

The red light next to the memory card door is an activity indicator, telling you the camera is reading or writing to the card. It should stop within a few seconds when you first turn on the camera. If you have turned the camera on or off, or removed the card while the light is on, the card will almost certainly need to be formatted.

The 'black hair' you mentioned - is it inside the camera? It could just be debris such as a pet hair. Even so, it may be preventing the card from making proper contact on one of the pins. You may be able to (very gently) fish it out with a pin or sewing needle, if it is loose. (Camera turned off and batteries out)
When you look inside the card slot on the camera, you should see two rows of pins. One of them, at the very end of the row, is a bit taller than the rest. If this is how it looks, everything in the camera is probably OK. On the card itself, there will be two rows of holes, which mate with those pins. None of them should be blocked with anything.
With my D7hi, the file size for a Super Fine Jpeg is around 4-5 MB, so your 8MB card should hold at least one picture. You should be able to format that card, following Jim's steps, and have something to start with.
Do you have an owner's manual for the camera? Since Minolta is no longer in the camera business, support for these is now in the hands of Sony. I haven't looked in a while, but there should be manuals available on line.

brian
Oops, talk about out of date. Sony service ended as of the end of 2010. Konica-Minolta have turned service over to independent repair companies. You might have to search some of the K-M user forums to locate manuals and information.

Last edited by VTphotog; Mar 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:39 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
With my D7hi, the file size for a Super Fine Jpeg is around 4-5 MB, so your 8MB card should hold at least one picture.
Are you sure that's not Extra Fine versus Super Fine?

Minolta's specifications for the 7Hi show average file sizes of 1.5MB for Standard, 2.5MB for Fine, 4.8MB for Extra Fine, 9.6MB for RAW, and 14.2MB for Super fine at full resolution (larger than an 8MB card would hold for one image). Of course file sizes will vary based on subject type, noise, etc. I also suspect the Super Fine setting is for TIFF.

In any event, I'd reset it to factory defaults, in case a setting for image quality (set to Super Fine or RAW) is causing an issue.