Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:23 PM   #21

You are correct. The super fine setting is for .tiff. The highest quality JPEG is Extra Fine, at 2560x1920 pixels, and this is the default. At this setting it indicates room for nearly 400 pictures on a 2GB CF card.
My wife has more or less appropriated the camera, so I don't use it much at all anymore. When I want it back, I'm probably going to have to buy her a camera for herself.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:38 AM   #22

Have ordered the Transend TS2GCF133- 2GB CompactFlash Card.

Looked inside case- -batteries out , camera off.

The little black ' hair 'seems to be hard- ' does not appear to be loose, could be a pin but protrudes further out from the case than the pins do, looks as though it may be part of the pin frame?.

I suppose I shall only be able to tell when the new 2GB card is tried.

Have looked for a camera repair option , but nothing local to me.

Thank you
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:25 AM   #23

Hi Jim,

Have new card inserted, bells sound, top screen - Data Panel- shows PLAY,

Monitor display screen - "unable to use card".

Are there other dials that need to be in a certain position?? Just got top dial on play back.

Display mode dial ----- EVF-A- set as 'A'
Exposure mode dial set----- P.ASM
Battery condition indicator -----full
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:50 AM   #24
Administrator

Did you use the camera's menu choice for format and format the card, as described in my previous posts. This screen (you'll find it in the Playback menus with the mode dial set to Playback):

If that doesn't work, find someone with a card reader and format it and then see if it works. You'll need to format it as FAT (not FAT32).

IOW, insert the card in a USB Attached Card Reader, then "right click" on the card under "My Computer" (or "Computer" with Win 7) and select Format. When you see a drop down list of file system types, select FAT (*not* FAT32, which is probably the default) and use the defaults for the rest of the choices.

Then after you format it as FAT using a card reader, see if you can format it using the camera's menu choice for format.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:48 AM   #25

Sorry Jim,

Menu screen dosnt come up, just a white square with the words 'unable to read card, so dont get the option to format it.

Which is why I thought I might have to set other dials as well.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:55 AM   #26
Administrator

Have you got a CompactFlash Card reader (either built into a PC or a USB Attached reader)? If so, see if you can format the card as FAT using a PC. Sometimes I see new cards that are formatted as FAT32 instead, and sometimes older camera models don't recognize cards formatted that way so you can reformat them using the camera menus.

If not, see if someone you know has one and will format it as FAT for you (as described in my previous post). You may also be able to find a photo store (Ritz, Wolf, etc.) nearby that will do that for you. Many PCs have card readers built in, too.

You may even want to see if your camera will work as a card reader (see if it shows up under "My Computer") with the card plugged in and is able to see the card and let you format it as FAT using your computer. Probably not, but it's worth a try (as some cameras will work that way). If you've got another camera that can use CompactFlash, you may also want to see if it can format it for you (as most cameras will use FAT as the file system when formatting a 2GB or smaller card).
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:50 AM   #27

Does your original 8MB Nikon card still work?

Your new Transcend card may be bad.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:00 AM   #28
Administrator

Margaret:

If you can't get that one to work (and I'd try formatting it as FAT in a card reader, then see if your camera can recognize it and format it first), send me a mailing address via a Private Message and I'll format a card as FAT, make sure it works in an older camera model (I've got a Nikon Coolpix 950 I can test it with) and mail you a "known good" card.

I've got some cards I never use anymore sitting around. For example, I see a pile of them with a 512MB card in it that I don't need for anything. I use a 16GB card in my current camera, and I've got multiple cards in between 2GB and 16GB, too. The smaller cards I have (8MB, 16MB, 128MB, 512MB, etc.) are not needed and I don't mind parting with one of them.

So, if you give me a mailing address (just send me a PM with it) I'll format a 512MB card as FAT, test it in an older camera , and mail it to you. That way, you'll know if it's the camera or the cards you're trying to use in it, since I'll make sure it's setup as FAT and works OK.

P.S.

IOW, I'd rather one of them go to someone that needs a working card for use in an older camera model like your 7Hi, since they're just sitting on a shelf unused. If it works, great. That way, you'll know it's not the camera and you'll have a working card to take photos with. If it doesn't work, you'll know your camera has an issue. No need to return it, either way.