Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:28 AM   #1

Default Minolta Dimage 7Hi - a new user

help please for an old lady!!!! I have inherited my sons old Minolta Dimage 7Hi camera. I have my own SLR manual, and I am competent with that.

My problem is I have a new memory card, and I am missing some sort of procedure for use. I thought that i had followed the manual on set up - but it appears not, as in the RH corner where the 'takes' are counted a yellow line with three red crossess appears.
On play back the screen reads' Card not read'

I know that the camera was working when I received it, so can anyone tell me how to proceed please. Simply.......
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:43 AM   #2
Administrator

What kind of memory card did you buy?

The 7Hi is not compatible with FAT32 (the type of file system used by 4GB and larger cards).

So, you'll want to stick with a card that's 2GB or smaller in it.

Now, there are some "tricks" to get some 4GB cards to work (reformatting them to use larger cluster sizes).

But, I'd suggest sticking with a 2GB or smaller card for use with that camera.

If it already is a 2GB or smaller card and isn't working, try formatting it with a PC using a USB Attached card reader.

Basically, after you "right click" on your card reader under "My Computer" select the Format option. Then, make sure to select FAT (not FAT32) as the file system type from the drop down list you'll see, and format it using the defaults for everything else.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:53 AM   #3

The Minolta Dimage 7Hi can't use CF Cards larger than 2GB. Is it possible that the card you're using is larger than that?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:02 AM   #4

Oops,

The card that was in the camera - and contains a few images I took is

Nikon compact Flash San Disk Ec -8CF. 8MB

My new card -advertised as suitable for this camera is Kingston compact Flash 16GB

The camera seem to be at 2560 Fine, which I understood to be a fairly demanding set. So went for a larger capcity card. Am I off track here?

The original printed enclosure list shows a 16MB CompactFalsh Card
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:12 AM   #5

There's quite a difference between "16MB" and "16GB".

Yes, the 16GB CF Card is waaaaaay too much for your Minolta Dimage 7Hi.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:48 AM   #6

The camera originally shipped with a 16MB CF card, and 1GB was as large a card that was available at the time. 2GB will hold a lot of photos on a 7hi. Being an older camera, the read/write speeds are not really very fast, so you definitely need a card reader for uploading pics to your computer. If you do upload from the camera itself, be sure the batteries are freshly charged, or use an AC adapter.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:33 PM   #7

Thank you.
The Kinston card I bought is deff. 16 GB.

The Typed original typed list says 16 MB,

The card that was in the camera was a 8 MB .

Does this mean I cannot use the new one I obtained - the Kingston CompactFlash? at 16 GB.

Thank you all for your advice, you can see how I am at a loss...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:44 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
Does this mean I cannot use the new one I obtained - the Kingston CompactFlash? at 16 GB.
You can't use a card that large in that camera. It won't work. Period.

A 16GB (16 billion bytes) card holds a thousand times as much as the 16MB (16 million bytes) card that shipped with that camera.

You'll need to buy a 2GB or smaller card for use in a 7Hi, as it doesn't understand the type of file system needed for a card that's larger than 2GB. Anything larger than 2GB requires a different file system type called FAT32 (the file system is the way the images are indexed and stored on a card), and the 7Hi can't understand the newer file system used by cards larger than 2GB.

Keep in mind that the largest cards made at the time that camera was introduced were around 1GB in size. ;-)

So, I'd shop for a 2GB (or smaller) card for it.

Bottom Line: You will not be able to use that 16GB card in that camera. It is not compatible with it.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:21 AM   #9

Thank you for that advice. The card was advertised as suitable for that model of camera.

However the camera is now showing a red warning light when I put in the 'smaller' card and dosnt funtion at all now, so may be damaged I guess.

There are no camera shops near to me to check it over, so I guess that I shall have to go back to 35mm films...while they are still available.

Perhaps I should go on a course fof instruction somewhere.

Thank you all though, I did'nt realise the technical implications of the digitals.

Margaret
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:27 AM   #10
Administrator

Make sure the batteries are fully charged. I'm assuming you're using High Capacity NiMH Rechargeable Batteries. If not, that's what you'll need to use, as Alkalines are *not* suitable for that camera model.

Did you get a Battery Charger and Rechargeable Batteries with it? What capacity (1800mAH, etc.) are they. If they're old, they may not be holding enough charge and supplying enough voltage to power the camera anymore, as the 7Hi requires a lot of power to run (which is one reason Alkaline batteries are not acceptable for it).

You can get a set of AA NiMH batteries with a charger at reasonable prices if you shop around. I'd make sure they have a capacity of greater than 2000mAH for best results with a high drain device like the 7Hi. Here's one distributor of chargers and batteries (but, even your local drug store probably carries rechargeable NiMH batteries and chargers):

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/AA...ers_c_963.html

As for a 16GB card, it's definitely not suitable for your Minolta 7Hi. So, you may want to complain to the vendor that advertised it that way. Note that you can buy a 2GB CompactFlash card for less than $15 delivered now (2GB and smaller cards should work in your 7Hi). Here are some 2GB Cards:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-133x.../dp/B000VY2BC0

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-.../dp/B0007QU6WY

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208338