Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:33 PM   #1

Default New to digital cameras.....got a few questions

I have recently become very interested in digital photography because you can view the pictures instantly, and you can edit them on your computer.

I have a few questions:

1. During the summer, I will be going to spain and there are alot of landscape pictures I want to take. So is 3x optical zoom enough. (im looking towards purchasing the canon a70) Side note...anything will be better than the cheap disposible cameras I used last summer in spain.) Does the canon a70 take good landskape pictures as well as just common everyday indoor/outdoor pics?

2. I think I want to go with a 3megpix camera. Most of my print outs would be 4 * 6 or 5 * 7, but I might zoom in on some of the pictures. Is the 3megapix a necesity for this?

3. After taking the pictures, I would really like to transfere them to my computer to edit them using paintshop pro 8. Once done editing, can I send them back to camera? The reason is, I have just an okay printer (HP 3650) and I really don't want to print the pictures at home. So I would like to bring them to a professional place to print them. Do this professional places do a good job?

Also, in general, do digital cameras produce good print outs compared to 35mm camera. As long as the print outs are better than a disposable camera, that's fine for me)

Sorry this is so long, but I feel so lost sometimes.

If you could also reccomend some other cameras for my needs besides the canon that would be great. Thanks
abs9986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:53 PM   #2

Bump....

Is this perhaps the wrong place to post my question. Maybe the canon forum would be better
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:56 PM   #3

Answers to the questions:

1. The A70 should serve you well based on the descriptions you have provided. 3X optical zoom is the minimum that I would want in a digital camera. It also has the advantage of using AA batteries. You shold consider buying rechargeable batteries and a charger.

2. The A70, 3mp, will provide you with very good prints at the sizes you listed.

3. You can always transfer the pics from your computer back to the card after editing them. You will not be able to view them with the camera but the photolabs will be able to read them. I prefer to transfer mine to cd.

4. You can also look at the Olympus Stylus 400/300 and the Nikon 3700.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:14 PM   #4

I think you would be happier with a camera that has more zoom than a 3X if you can afford the extra. You won’t be disappointed.

As for the meg-a-pixel question I shoot a Fuji S602 at three megs and I get great pictures. Others will disagree but on this camera 8x10’s print superbly with 3 meg-a-pixels.

Paint Shop Pro 8 is a great program but put your pictures on a CD if you have a burner. They’re cheap and you will have your flash card for taking pictures. One thing to keep in mind is you will need a good size flash card. The ones that come with cameras are small in size and will not hold the number of pictures you will take in a day’s time. Transferring them to your PC is also good if you are taking a laptop with you on your trip, if not get a large flash card.

As for your prints, two things to remember. First is the picture itself, was the light right, did you compose it properly, etc. Second is where you get your pictures printed. Many places now offer digital printing but not every place does a good job. Ask friends where they take theirs.

Good luck and enjoy your trip, Take lots of pictures
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:03 PM   #5

Ok so how does the canon a70 compare to the nikon 3700?

(I'm also not going to buy this camera until the beginning of march probably, so is it likely for new models to come out, or for price reductions?)

Also, what some places that allow you to print photos. I know there is a bestbuy, ritz camera, BJ"s near me.

What are the typical prices to print photos?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:27 PM   #6

I think both Wal-Mart and Walgreen’s use the Fuji Frontier system which is very good. The price is right too. I think 19c for a 4 X 6 at Wal-Mart.

Everyone mentions the telephoto range, but wide angle capability will probably give you more good landscapes than a telephoto. The little disposable camera you used probably has a wider angle than the digitals you are discussing. Most of the cameras with wide angle capability are pricier than the A70 you are considering and suffer some in the long telephoto area though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:25 AM   #7

Hello abs9986

You may want to consider copy of your photos to CD periodically
at a computer store while overseas.

You may want to bring your own media reader and install CD
also with you.

If you go with CDs, have them make two copies. One for you to keep, one to send home.

Only delete photos from card within your camera.

I would suggest at least one 512 mb card.

Buon Viaggio a espana!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 2:57 PM   #8

Hey thanks for all of your help.

Im thinking the a70 is a good camera. Some things that are important to me. I dont care how big the camera is, but I want a comfortable handle to hold it. I also want easy controls.

Do these special scene modes like landscape and portrait work well or is best to always leave it on auto.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:28 PM   #9

Default Re: New to digital cameras.....got a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs9986
... During the summer, I will be going to spain and there are alot of landscape pictures I want to take. ...
Don't dither about to long thinking about it. 3-4 months is a nice amount of time to spend getting used to the camera, how the batteries stand up, ...

That amount of time will also allow you to try some some landscapes in your own back yard over and over again until you figure out your limits. Some time to spend looking in the local art galleries at landscapes. Checking some books out of the library. You can spend your life figuring those things out and you will be happier with your pictures from Spain if the first bit of learning is done before you get there.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:01 AM   #10

OK so more questions:

Can someone compare the a70 and nikon 3100. Both are about the same price. I think the nikon has more preset modes like couple portrait. That might be useful for me.

Which camera takes better quality pictures and which camera has better controls