Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:54 PM   #1

Default Which camera should I buy?

Which Camera (best) fits my criteria? I am an experienced amateur photographer. Recently owned am Olympus C2020 which I was quite happy with until I gave it to my Daughter so I could buy another one grade better. Now I'd like some of those features in a pocket sized or nearly so camera. I'd like 4 or more MPX, at least 3X optical zoom,preferably more zoom. I want an excelent quality lens for the sharpest pictures. From what I read I think the lens must be either Nicon, Canon, Olympus, Zeis. By now you can see I don't know anything about any camera let alone compact or mini digital cameras. Would welcome some advice. What I think I want is. (1) Compact size, Preferably pocket size, at least palm size.(2) Swivel Viewing screen. (3) Hot shoe or sync output for external flash (4) Remote control capability. (5) Good lens for sharp images. (6) 4,or more mpx for better resolution. (7) At least 3X optical zoom, 10 would be great. (8) Better image sensor for best resolution.
Thank you in advance for your indulgence. Gary.
garya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:50 PM   #2

The longest zoom in a truly pocketable camera is the Pentax 555 at 5X. No remote, flip out screen, or hot shoe.

The smallest digital camera I know of with a hot shoe is the Sony V1. 4X zoom and 5Mp. Probably what a pro would want as a pocket camera although it is probably a little bulky for most pants pockets. Great features and it takes 640 X 480 sound movies rather than the standard and nearly useless 320 X 240. I know you arenít looking for a videocam, but sometimes it is all you have with you.

The smallest camera I know of with a 10 X zoom is the Panasonic FZ1/2, but it is only 2Mp and the supply is drying up. You couldnít put it in your pocket. I donít think there is anything smaller in a 4Mp 10X zoom than the Oly 750 and it comes with a remote. No flip out screen but has a hot shoe. Nowhere near pants pocket size though.

Image sharpness isnít a problem with any of them. A little barrel distortion and pincushion in cameras that are compact for their zoom range and you always get CA with very long lenses in a prosumer camera.

The Canon G5 has a nice fully articulated LCD. A little noisy but Iím not as down on that as others are. Otherwise an excellent camera. It also takes CF cards which is an advantage. Second best choice is the SD card in the Pentax. The Sony has Sony Memory Stick and the Oly has xD Ė both pricey and it is unlikely you are going to be able to use it in you Palm device or most other cameras. Nothing wrong with the cards, they just cost too much and there isnít much else you can use them in unless you have a video camera of the same make.

If you like long lenses you might want to look at the Panasonic FZ10. It is bulky but has a stabilized 12X lens that maintains f2.8 throughout its range. 4Mp. It is light for its size but violates your compact requirement. But you can use the long telephoto without a tripod in most situations, and the camera isnít as bulky as a tripod. It uses SD cards.

The Minolta G500 is a real bargain. Pocketable, 5Mp and 3X optical. SD cards. Nice little camera.

I know of nothing that fits all of your requirements.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:31 AM   #3

Default Thank you!

Just want to thank you for your rapid and most helpful reply to my request. Wow, I've found a gold mine of digital camera help.
Thank you
Thank you

gary Anderson
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:26 PM   #4

Forgot to mention that Pentax has a $50 rebate going Ďtill the end of the month. Not much time for decisions though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:23 PM   #5

Default Thank you!

Thank you again, looks like the sony V1 is for me even though nearly twice my budget. Oh Well.
Gary
:roll: