Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:34 PM   #1

Default TIFF and JPEG ?

What are the advantages saving as TIFF format I shoot at SHQ which is JPEG format from my Olympus C-750. My original pic is SHG JPEG and I do a copy of TIFF format for ech pic. Is the this a waste of time? The reason why I keep the JPEG format is only for web sites or e-mail. :?:
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:07 AM   #2

JPEG is a lossy compression and TIFF is lossless but takes more space.

Every time you open a JPEG file make a smal change and resave it more data is lost. How much depends on how much compression is applied. SHQ will lose less data than higher compression settings but it's also important to know what level of compression is applied by your editing software.

If you open the JPEG file and save it as TIFF while you are editing it you will not lose any more data than you lost in the original in camera compression. If you are not editing the JPEG files just opening them and saving them as TIFF files you're proably wasting time and disk space.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:44 AM   #3

Default Re: TIFF and JPEG ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacer
What are the advantages saving as TIFF format I shoot at SHQ which is JPEG format from my Olympus C-750.
HQ and SHQ jpeg will be fine to keep unless you're really fussy about quality. But make sure you keep a really safe copy of the original camera file on your computer. Change it to 'read-only' and back it up on CD-R, and then you can always come back to it later if you want to.

As Bill Drew, a respected elder statesman round here says....

"these are your digital negatives; don't mess with them".
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:52 AM   #4

Quote:
... My regional pic is SHG JPEG and I do a copy of TIFF format for ech pic. Is the this a waste of time? ...
Yes, converting to TIFF from the original JPEG is a waste of time and disk space. Whatever very slight damage has been done by saving the original as a low compression (high quality) JPEG has already been done, converting it to TIFF will not undo that.

I did the same thing with my first digicam: fortunatly a 0.31Mpixel camera so it wasn't a big waste, unfortuatly even that was a fair amount of my big 480MByte (yes, M not G) hard drive. So I do tend to rant a bit on the subject to try to save other folks from the same mistake.

It is true that there is a very small degredation of the image with repeated save/open JPEGs. But if you have saved your original, you can always go back and start over.

Save the orignal exactly as it comes from the camera and don't worry much about the format for other saves.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:58 AM   #5

Your advice is always excellent BillDrew. It a bonus to have someone like you on here to help us.
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Quote:
... My regional pic is SHG JPEG and I do a copy of TIFF format for ech pic. Is the this a waste of time? ...
Yes, converting to TIFF from the original JPEG is a waste of time and disk space. Whatever very slight damage has been done by saving the original as a low compression (high quality) JPEG has already been done, converting it to TIFF will not undo that.

I did the same thing with my first digicam: fortunatly a 0.31Mpixel camera so it wasn't a big waste, unfortuatly even that was a fair amount of my big 480MByte (yes, M not G) hard drive. So I do tend to rant a bit on the subject to try to save other folks from the same mistake.

It is true that there is a very small degredation of the image with repeated save/open JPEGs. But if you have saved your original, you can always go back and start over.

Save the orignal exactly as it comes from the camera and don't worry much about the format for other saves.
So, than what happens if I want quailty photos to print. So what do I have to do than. I use Photshop Elements 2.0.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:58 PM   #7

I convert to TIFF when I edit my photos in photoshop. This is only because I am always saving what I have done that I like and being new to using the airbrush and cloneing tools, when I get even a little bit right I really dont want to lose it I then convert back to JPEG when I have finished.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:00 PM   #8

PS: I dont know if this is worthwhile but it is no great hardship for me and I also keep the original anyway.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:39 PM   #9

Bill what will happen if not saving at any compression with a TIFF. Just asking have not done this.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:40 PM   #10

I find TIFF to be impractical for extracting images from a digital camera. If I don’t have raw mode available I just go with the best quality JPG.

In your case you have SHQ JPG which is very good. It is hard to see any difference between SHQ and TIFF.

Once you open an image in an editor you want to “Save as” a TIFF or other uncompressed format. Even SHQ has tiny compression artifacts that will be multiplied by resaving as a JPG. As has been said, there is no advantage to “converting” to TIFF after the camera uses JPG – you just don’t want to “Save” at all (from the original) or “Save as” in JPG again. Saving in an uncompressed format does not further degrade the image at all.

There is nothing wrong with taking the images originally in the camera as a TIFF. It just fills your card and buffer, often slowing the next shot.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote