Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:45 AM   #1

Default Panasonic DMC-LX5 not behaving

Hello, I'm new to this forum and would really welcome some advice.

I bought a Panasonic DMC-LX5 in December and have been really happy with it, but now something weird is happening.

In every mode except for Intelligent Auto, whenever I compose a shot and half press the exposure button, the screen darkens and the resulting image is dark. I discovered this while trying to take some arty shots in Aperture Priority setting. I have gone through the menu trying to figure out if I've reset something by accident, but it all looks ok to me.

Does anyone know why this is happening please? It's beginning to drive me crazy!

Many thanks for any replies.
caromoss968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:00 AM   #2

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 not behaving!

Hello, I'm new to this forum and would really welcome some advice.

I bought a Panasonic DMC-LX5 in December and have been really happy with it, but now something weird is happening.

In every mode except for Intelligent Auto, whenever I compose a shot and half press the exposure button, the screen darkens and the resulting image is dark. I discovered this while trying to take some arty shots in Aperture Priority setting. I have gone through the menu trying to figure out if I've reset something by accident, but it all looks ok to me.

Does anyone know why this is happening please? It's beginning to drive me crazy!

Many thanks for any replies.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:24 AM   #3

It sounds to me that your settings are not suitable for the correct exposure... necessary in the semi-auto(P,A,S) or Manual mode.
The screen "gains up" for you to compose the shot,but half pressing the shutter button will show you what the picture is going to be like at your chosen settings.
You have an exposure meter on the display to help you along- but basically if things are too dark- in Aperture priority,open up the aperture(lower "f" number)- and in Shutter priority slow the shutter speed down- either adjustment will allow more light in.
Make sure your exposure compensation isn't set at -2 or something also...!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:44 AM   #4
Administrator

I'd check to see if you've set Exposure Compensation to a -EV value.

Basically, when in one of the non Auto modes like Aperture Priority, press the +- button and rotate the rear dial to change your Exposure Compensation (and you'll see the current setting for it on the LCD)

A -EV value gives you a darker exposure than the camera is metering (which is probably what's causing your problem), and a +EV value gives you a brighter exposure than the camera is metering. With it set to 0 (where you'll probably want it for most photos), it uses the exposure as metered.

See page 27 of this manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCLX5.PDF

If that doesn't solve it, I'd just reset it back to factory defaults. If you go into your Setup Menus, you'll find a Reset menu choice for that purpose.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Administrator

I just noticed that you asked this question in more than one forum. That's known as "Cross Posting", which can be confusing to members. For example, I didn't realize that SIMON40 had responded and already mentioned Exposure Compensation Settings. IOW, it's best not to start more than one thread with the the same questions. ;-)

So, I've merged the two threads you started into one thread (this one), so that all of the responses will be in the same place.

Please let us know what fixes it for you.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:03 PM   #6

Thanks so much Jim and Simon (and sorry for cross posting - very new to this!).

I was confused about the screen darkening as I was using the largest aperture setting (2.0) in daylight, to get an out of focus background. I'd done this before with no screen darkening. As I haven't been using the camera for long I took your advice Jim, and reset it - problem solved. And now I know a little more about exposure compensation - have to admit I've mainly been using the camera in idiot mode up until now.

Many thanks for your replies.

Caroline
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:16 PM   #7
Administrator

Great. If all else fails, a Reset back to defaults usually works, as you found out.

As for Exposure Compensation, sometimes the exposure isn't as desired, because of a lot of difference between brighter and darker areas.

For example, you may have a backlit subject in shadows, where most of the image is exposed just fine, but the subject looks too dark.

So, you could do something like using a flash for fill, or you could just use Exposure Compensation with it set to a +EV value so that the entire exposure is brighter than metered.

Or, if you have a subject that's much brighter than the rest of the scene (for example, performers on stage in spotlights with the background very dark), and the camera's default metering makes your primary subjects look too bright, do the opposite and use a -EV setting with Exposure Compensation so that the exposure is darker than metered.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:34 PM   #8

Thanks again Jim - I will be using the camera for performances so that's a great tip. So far it's only been on holiday with me, and we were both in idiot mode!

Caroline