Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:41 PM   #21

Hey, I thought those were actual technical terms!

:twisted:
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:04 PM   #22

Im no expert and dont have as much experience as many in these forums do. I can only go on the two digitals i have myself. my first was a canon powershot A10, 1.3 migapixels and needing four AA batteries. I loved it, it took great shots and was a great learning tool.
I now have the Canon G3 and have found this takes beautiful photos and although is aimed at more experienced photographers (with all the manual settings etc) I have found it easy to use and would recommend it to a newbie. If you just want a point and shoot the canon A70 is supposed to be a good buy. the fugi finepix F401 is another that i have seen good results from (a friend owns one).
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:08 PM   #23

another thing, I updated to a canon printer from an epson and a lexmart and have found my best results come from printing out my photos on canon paper. I dont know is it has something to do with it being a Canon camera or is just pot luck.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty
another thing, I updated to a canon printer from an epson and a lexmart and have found my best results come from printing out my photos on canon paper. I dont know is it has something to do with it being a Canon camera or is just pot luck.

I'm using Red River papers with my Canon !960 and getting very good results.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:15 PM   #25

The recommendation, at least until you get a good handle on fiddling with print settings, is to use the same brand paper as that of your printer, the assumption being that the printer manufacturers work to make their printers put out the best quality they can. To that end, they formulate their papers to match their inks. This doesn't mean that other papers won't work and maybe even work better. What it means is that the method with the least hassle is using the printer manufacturer's paper.

So, I think what you're looking at is Canon paper matching up well with a Canon printer. It's unlikely to have any connection to the brand camera you use.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:17 PM   #26

Thats what I meant really , I thought maybe because the camera, printer and paper were all canon it produced good results. I have had some good results with Kodak premium picture paper as well. I have never seen "red river" paper. maybe it is not available here in Australia
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:45 PM   #27

I agree totaly that more weight (to an extent) helps to steady you. One thing I have found works very well for me is using my 10D's camera strap like a rifle sling. I wrap it aound my neck and arm, and plaster the camera to my face. So far it hasnt done me wrong!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:25 AM   #28

Hey Barb!! I like the beanbag idea. I think thats something I'll definetly have to put in the gadget bag. Also, I think we both have the same tripod. Mine too, has a thingamabob that attaches to the camera, a doohickey and a hoojigger. I guess they named them that so it would be easier to identify the parts should they need replacing! :lol:
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf065
...using my 10D's camera strap like a rifle sling. I wrap it aound my neck and arm, and plaster the camera to my face. So far it hasnt done me wrong!
Just as long as you don't strangle yourself. :shock:

There's an ersatz tripod that can be created by finding a small bolt the same size as the one in a tripod that screws into the bottom of the camera. Attach the bolt to heavy string or even lightweight rope, making sure the latter is long enough so that, when you attach the bolt to your camera, the string drops down to the ground with enough left over for you to step on, making it taught while you aim and shoot. It does an amazing job of stablizing you and your camera. It's wonderful when you're feeling downright cranky about carrying a tripod.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:37 AM   #30
Administrator

I've owned two Nikons (Coolpix 950, Coolpix 990), and I still have the 950.

I wish that all manufacturers would implement the equivalent of Nikons BSS (Best Shot Selector) mode. You can easily get sharp, hand held photos with relatively slow shutter speeds, without the use of a tripod.

BSS works by letting you press and hold the shutter button down for multiple photos (I usually hold it down for around 6 or so). When you release the shutter button, the camera automatically saves the sharpest photo.

It most likely works by saving the image with the largest file size (which indicates more detail is being captured, hence the photo with the largest file size is going to be more sharply focused).

I've used BSS often with the two Nikons I've owned. It's allowed me to get in focus photos without a tripod at very slow shutter speeds. Basically, when you press and hold the shutter button while it quickly takes multiple photos, chances are, the camera is going to be still enough for one of them to be in focus.

Every manufacturer should implement a similiar feature IMO. My latest digital camera (Konica Revio KD-510z) does not have this feature, and I miss it! It's unique to Nikons.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote